Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to make salad cream  (Read 16543 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: how to make salad cream
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 01:49:22 pm »
kerstin, we only have 2 ducks now (1 boy and 1 girl) and she lays us an egg every morning.  thinking to let her hatch some if she wants to but not decided yet....hmmm

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 04:40:45 pm »
This sounds relatively simple enough for me to try the mayo anyway :o

I had no idea it was just eggs, oil and mustard  ::)  Time to dig out the mixer - and I'm getting a better sense of all I could do if I had a few hens now ;D cos I love mayo on my (homegrown) salad wraps - am trying to work out how much of my supermarket bills I could replace at home and planting more of the fruit/veg I actually buy rather than just what catches my eye in seed racks ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:13 pm »
ellied, you'd save LOADS.....make up a list and go for it I say :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 05:52:33 pm »
Looks like I have to start from scratch with seeds as I had a wodden box in the old caravan - snow melt had destroyed the roof and all was wet and molding in the box :-[ .
On a positive note I love to note in my head how much I save each time I don't have to buy something I grow myself! I'm sure it adds up to quite a bit... Amongst us locals it would be good to establish a swap system (again  ;) ) for things we might have too much of. What do you think, Ellie, Laura?
 :&>

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »
Hello nfduckling,

have you checked out www.simplyseeds.co.uk ? They sell smaller sized packets ie lettuce typically 500 not the usual 1000. Prices are therefore lower; 59p - 89p/pkt. Very good selection too.

Sorry to have drifted away from mayo/salad cream thread!

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 06:37:17 pm »
don't forgot though not to eat homemade mayo whilst pregnant as raw eggs are a big no no, i have just learnt this myself as my sister in law has just found out she is pregnant and this is one of the many things we cant feed her!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:49 pm »
Looks like I have to start from scratch with seeds as I had a wodden box in the old caravan - snow melt had destroyed the roof and all was wet and molding in the box :-[ .
On a positive note I love to note in my head how much I save each time I don't have to buy something I grow myself! I'm sure it adds up to quite a bit... Amongst us locals it would be good to establish a swap system (again  ;) ) for things we might have too much of. What do you think, Ellie, Laura?
 :&>

I've got loads of seeds in standard packs so will have far too many if you want some :)  I need to dig out everything I've bought so I don't get more of the same and forget something I eat a lot of ::) so I'll put a list together and you can see if there's any you'd like..

I usually have a glut of plums and cooking apples too, and rhubarb.. the cat lady usually gets buckets of plums to carboot for her charity each year but still enough for what I eat/use/preserve and a few to spare :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 03:35:16 pm »
ok basic mayo recipe works ok couldn't eat it as is though

need to try it with the vinegar to improve the basic flavour

what oil do people use? i used olive oil and think its a bit to flavourful

i split my batch into 3 and tried flavouring them

garlic was good
horesradish was good
lemon was (insert expletive) horrible, shame as i like lemon mayo on fish dishes...

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 07:24:13 pm »
what oil do people use? i used olive oil and think its a bit to flavourful

I usually use vegetable oil or sunflower oil. I think olive oil is too expensive for home made mayo.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 07:39:01 pm »
unless you call it alio et olio with lots of garlic! :&>

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:58:13 am »
just cheap vegetable oil makes a lovely mayo don't use expensive oils as they will ruin the creamy flavour and will overpower any herbs that you add

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 05:53:27 pm »
I now tried the following
http://www.greenchronicle.com/connies_cornish_kitchen/cornish_salad_cream.htm

too much vinegar, mustard and flour, not what I was craving...will keep experimenting! I also can see why the commercial varieties do not use flour as a thickener  :&>

RafaelAnchia

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 07:48:35 am »
Similar in appearance to mayonnaise, this food is a dressing that is common in Europe, particularly regions around Ireland and the United Kingdom. Made from vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, mustard, egg yolks, and seasonings, Salad Cream is typically used as a tangy dressing for salads and sandwiches or as an ingredient in a variety of egg dishes and food sauces. Several varieties are made which include various flavors and versions some with fat reduced while other contain higher fat levels.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS