Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Micro pigs.  (Read 2755 times)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
Micro pigs.
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:18:01 am »
Hi all, I would like to touch on the subject of the "so called" micro pig :pig:, as to what experiences( good or bad) anyone has had with them, and where is the best place(or not) to purchase one?
I think people in the UK and in general need to be better informed.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:20:50 am by Stevie G »

HappyHippy

Re: Micro pigs.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:12:13 am »
There is NO SUCH THING AS A UK MICRO PIG ::)
Here are some previous threads from TAS with lots of info
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=11466.0
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=11981.0
Pigs just aren't designed to live indoors - 'micro' or not they still need piggy company and lots of ground to root up (your lawn will not be safe ;))
If you're looking for a small pig (that will stay reliably small) with a nice temprament go for Kune Kunes, castrated males make the best pets. They're also much less inclined to root and being a recognised breed you get a proof of the parentage and can be reassured that they won't grow into a cross bred maxi mongral pig (cos that's essentially what 'micro' means in real terms :-\)
The only person I would even consider buying from (not that I'll ever own one) would be Wendy Scudamore (Barton Hill Farm) she has imported some Swedish micro pigs which are pedigree and have an established bloodline and stay reliably small unlike all the ones that have appeared in the UK.
HTH
Karen

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »
Hi Happy Hippy, just love the jigging baby below.
I have been following the situation in the UK with the "supposed" micro pig and I know of Jane and the fact that Sweden is a good sourse for the genuine article. Surely there most be others in the UK that produce a small/miniature/micro(which ever you prefer!!! ;D) than this in the UK?????
On the Pigsite there is a thread that advertises "free pigs needing a good home"(I understand that they are any size, including "micros")
This is going some where! ;D.
I understand that it is run by Matthew Firths wife(don't know if you now them), how genuine is this set-up, as the thread comes under the heading of Little-Pig-Farm?????????? The thing is I know that L-P-F past history has not seen to be that good, reputation wise that is, so does anyone know how genuine this offer is?????????
What I am basically trying to do is find out which breeders do or don't breed miniature pigs, and if people who wish to own a pig, be it micro, minature or commercial, whether the rescue centre is a good place to go!!!!!
I don't want to be pointing people in a direction that is wrong, so all your input will be gratefully accepted!!!!! ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:00:59 pm »
Only from my experiences here in France, and from much research via internet, it appears that most micro pigs tend to grow far bigger than originally anticipated.

Regardless of where people source their smaller than average sized pigs from, they should without exception do their research, just as they would  if buying any other animal, ask to be shown both parents, (gives an idea of final size as well as conditions) and if the conditions the animals are kept in is not up to standard walk away immediately.

I personally think the sellers should ensure that the home the pigs (never singular) are going to is suitable, t hat the buyer understands the needs of the animal and can provide same, and that especially with pigs they understand both the healh and safety aspects and the diet of the pig to avoid passing on f&m.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS