Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - Advice needed!  (Read 13190 times)

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
Help - Advice needed!
« on: January 15, 2011, 06:44:57 pm »
Think we have had our worst day since keeping pigs, our GOS sow aborted 11 piglets four weeks early and is not in a good way herself.  We have had vet out, antibiotics given so fingers crossed now for her.  Anyone help with why this happens, she has no temperature was fine until last night when she was off her food. Only with one other in pig sow so no bullying etc,
Secondly a four week old runt has been struggling for about 10 days now and we have been trying to keep her with mum but she was being squashed and bullied by the others so we have taken her inside. She is in my kitchen warming up and she has eaten weaner pellets and drank water - what now???

robert waddell

Re: Help - Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:12:18 pm »
what did the vet say about the abortion and were the piglets alright or deformed
with the runt feed her lamb milk replacement
also what weight is the runt
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:19:01 pm by lillian waddell »

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:13:28 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your sow  :( There are loads of reasons for aborting, the only ones I can think of (in my sleep deprived state) are infection and stress - but more experienced breeders will be able to advise better. It's such a shame though.
Your little runt  :love: I'd probably be tempted to keep her inside and feed her up a bit then once she's gained in size and energy, try re-introducing her. In commercial units they often wean at 4 weeks so in theory she should manage on pig nuts and water, but there are milk suppliments you can get too - if you think she looks like she needs it. I think I saw some on Supplies for Smallholders website.
HTH
Karen x

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:06:01 pm »
So sorry to hear about your trying times.

I look forward to hearing others thoughts about the reasons.  I would think along the same lines as Karen...Infection and/or stress.  Was she in pig to the same boar as her previous litter/s?  If not, perhaps something genetic? Although I wouldn't have thought they would have made it so far into the pregnancy.

With regards to the runt, it sounds like she is doing ok with the pellets and water.  Get hold of some sow milk supplement too, that will help.  I use Faramate.  It's surprising how well they do.

Good luck with everything. 

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »
Thanks all, unsure if it was infection as her temp was normal.  Most of the piglets were perfectly formed but a couple had obviously died a while ago as had 'mummified'  I cant see it was stress as she has not been moved, bullied etc.  Vet just thought it was 'one of those things' but its hard not knowing why.  Miss piggy seems brighter and has had more water to drink and pellets to eat but will try to get some replacer her for in the morning. Haven't weighed her yet but will do shortly  :pig:

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:09:29 pm »
Miss piggy weighs in at just over 7lbs
The sow was in pig to a different boar to the last time    ???

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 09:39:46 am »
Hi sorry about your sow.  Re the little piglet - as everyone has already said feed lamb replacer milk, keep her warm.  I introduced very milky porridge to Digby's diet, gradually introduced pig nuts as he grew.  He could not be reintroduced to the other piglets as they attacked him.  Oddly even now, he will only fraternise with other pigs from the other side of the fence and the sows without exception hate him and will attack him given the chance.  It may be just Digby, not an experience I have had before.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:54:16 am »
Thanks, she is by the rayburn in the kitchen sleeping peacefully, just about to get some milk replacer from local sheep farmer so fingers crossed. Managing to get some water and food down her too in the meantime.  She was injured when mum squashed her and two legs are sore but cant feel anything serious, hoping as she gains strength they will heal too  :pig:

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:39 pm »
ok, got the milk replacer - she will not suck to take it but have managed to get 125ml down her by squeezing it from a baby's bottle. Also 100ml honey and water earlier while I was waiting for the replacer.  Gave her some antibiotic as she was shaking and had a discharge from her nose, she is very tired and our dog is cuddled up to her by the rayburn and occasionally encouraging her to get up and walk about!  Anything else to do? Concerned she is not getting enough fluid and hoping she will pick up tomorrow when antibiotics have worked

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:59:16 am »
ok, got the milk replacer - she will not suck to take it but have managed to get 125ml down her by squeezing it from a baby's bottle.

would using a syringe be easier?

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 07:46:23 am »
Tried the syringe too, but she started sucking last night and has drank a whole bottle this morning already! Up and about playing with our dog so feeling bit more optimistic about her now  :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 08:35:48 am »
Wonderful news, truly.  I hope she continues to thrive.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:45:43 am »
That really is fantastic news.  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:55:04 am »
the vast majority of abortions in pigs is caused by stress  although with fecundity(mallformed piglets born dead)this can also trigger abortion
this is why it is important to register (with pedigree pigs) on the birth notification form  this occurrence . to enable you and others to select the best breeding stock
it is good to hear that your perseverance has been beneficial it will associate its self with your dog or yourself and in time will cause all sorts of problems mainly being it will not integrate its self with other pigs(this is from our own experiences with Ruby) but in the meantime enjoy the pet pig as it will turn out unless it can go back in with its brothers and sisters

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 12:02:24 pm »
It's worrying if it is stress as she was in her normal field with just another sow that is also in pig without any problems and they have been together for a long time now.(our sow is not a pedigree pig)  we are trying to distance ourselves from the little one but it is very hard! Now she is a bit better we have set a heat lamp up in the pantry next to the kitchen and made a little pen for it there so it not so close to us or the dog. Probably silly question...but does anyone know how much she should be drinking so I know she is getting enough???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS