Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wild boar ???????  (Read 5136 times)

Gazjackson

• Joined Dec 2010
wild boar ???????
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »
any help at all guys
what are they like?
any different from keeping pigs?
and where can i get some ?
thanks

HappyHippy

Re: wild boar ???????
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:45:08 pm »
Yes, a world away from 'standard' pigs I'm afraid  :-\
Firstly you need a dangerous animal licence and all the gubbin's that it entails - extra secure fencing, plans in place should you have a break out etc etc etc.
They're not a pig to consider as a beginner, very highly strung, bitey, can be aggressive and really need an experienced keeper in order to get the best from them. Sorry, but you did ask  ;)
If you're yearning for some dark, gamey flavoured pork I'd suggest the iron age breed. A mix of Wild boar and Tamworth, so slightly more domesticated and easier to manage plus the added advantage that there's no need for the dangerous animal licence malarkey. But again, they are slightly more 'high maintenance' than your average traditional rare breed.
HTH
Karen

Gazjackson

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »
Thanks Karen
will they live with pigs or do they need their own pen.
I have enough land to give them a run of their own
and fencing will be super strong.
I was going to fatten a couple
not for breeding.
How much will they be
thanks again

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 04:50:38 pm »
the fencing is i suspect a bit more than you would imagine buried in the ground and taller than stock fencing
they are pigs just Wilder normally they run away but corner them and they are vicious
you cant fatten them like a normal pig take at least twice as long
much easier to locate iron age and work with them but still dangerous
far cheaper and easier with normal pigs
and as a point of interest i had iron age pigs

Gazjackson

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:05:54 pm »
Thanks
still a bit confused tho
will they live with pigs or do they need to have their own run.

When I first got into smallholding I was told by all horse people not to bother
too much paper work they said
too much hard work
they always get out
the list goes on

i want to try all my own different meat
and wild boar is one of my favorites
sorry for been too determined
but really fancy a go
thanks

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:19:19 pm »
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1083599499&type=RESOURCES

A little bit about them on the above link, I'm sure there are more details if you google/search the internet.....Would be worth contacting your local Animal Health/Trading Standards for more info too.

I would say no to mixing with other pigs, they would definitely need their own really secure pen.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:20:41 pm »
Get in touch with your local trading standards and find out about the dangerous animal licence first - there's nothing wrong with your enthusiasm and desire to try something new, but the hassle involved in meeting the conditions required in order to keep them will most definately deflate you a bit. It's the same regulations you'd need to fullfill if you wanted to keep wolves or lions  :o
I'd imagine you'd need to keep your other pigs seperate to avoid any bullying or cross breeding. I think I'm right in saying that in order to keep them without the dangerous animal licence they can only be 25% wild boar, which is what's been achieved with the 'iron age' breed - it's a close match and a much safer option.
Karen x

Gazjackson

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:29:04 pm »
Thanks guys
any ideas where I could get one cross tamworth
then
if I get on ok with that then I'll look at full wild ones lol
thanks again

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:45:31 pm »
Have a chat to this chap http://www.thinc.co.uk/JWB/index.htm

Very helpful. I was in touch with him a while back (when I had wild boar crosses and was doing a college assignment). Really knowledgeable.

No idea where you live, but suggest you try and find someone within driving distance who is keeping true wild boar already and asking if you can spend some time there.

This list may help

http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/Suppliers.htm
(and have a look at Martin's excellent site while you're there, His book is really worth buying).

You don't say whether you have kept domestic pigs before, so if you haven't, it might be worth getting some, as when it comes to doling out the Dangerous Wild Animals Licence, it may prove useful if you have had some basic pig-keeping experience. Though, as others have mentioned, you will need to comply with some extremely strict security measures.

Good luck.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:16:25 am »
There is a wild boar keeper not far from us.    His outside perimiter fencing is 8 feet high and 4 feet into the ground.  Its topped with rolled barbed wire.  Inside he has 3 pens.   I have no idea of the paperwork, I do know there are lots of bloodtests for brucelosis and aujeskies.

From my own very rare experiences of meeting these near our holding, and the respect given to them by the local chasse when hunting them I would suggest that before you continue further down this road you find an experienced wild boar breeder and spend some time shadowing them, if only to give you an idea of the serious security and safety issues you would need to be aware of.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:17:12 am »
Just as an additional thought - make sure your vet is capable of handling and dealing with them too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS