Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potatoes  (Read 4980 times)

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
Potatoes
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »
Hi all, could I please ask for some advice regarding a good yeilding potatoe for an early and main crop.

I have to grow them in large containers as our garden is completed paved, I supposed that may limit the size and amount of potatoes that can be produced from each plant?

Thank you

Regards

Cavendish

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:49:18 pm »
I used builders dumpy bags this year with success.  Desiree was one of mine, can't remember the other but both good crops
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:56:00 pm »
Hi doganjo, thanks for your reply, unfortuately the garden we have is very small, which means I am limited to the size of containers I can use. I shall take good look desiree, can I ask if that was your main crop or early.

Forgive my ignorance I am quite new to growing vegetables.

Regards

Cavendish

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »
To be honest I just stick them in the ground and when I see the shaws withering I dig some up and leave the rest till I need them, so I don't really stick to strict seasonal guidelines.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cookie

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:15 pm »
Hi there

I have grown swift for the past two years, they are a first early and ideal for growing in tubs, potato bags etc.  They are very tasty too, I think they have less leaf which makes them ideal for containers.

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:33:45 pm »
'Anya' are small tasty spuds.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:50:08 pm »
'Anya' are small tasty spuds.

"Anya" is a cross between Desiree and Pink Fir Apple - good PFA flavour with fewer knobbley bits.

Tip for a good yield - line your trenches / planting holes with comfrey leaves.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 07:04:10 am »
 Some peole put a car tyre on the ground and put the ptoat in on the ground floor, the potatoe shoots and as it grows the next yre is put on and the next and while all this is happening the soil is also mounding in the tyres.  the original  palnt can be as much as 4 feet tall by the time the last tyre is put on top.  When the top flowers and dies it is time to remove the tyres one by one and dig out all your Spuds.  Great idea for a small garden,  Also containers for other vegies is also a good idea.   A strawbetty pot does well with herbs as well as for strawberries.  Window boxes under the window are also good for vegie plots.   

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:21:44 am »
I used builders dumpy bags this year with success.  Desiree was one of mine, can't remember the other but both good crops

What a fantastic idea. :)  I was going to buy potato grower bags but have one of these bags lying around.

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 11:22:23 am »
Hi Cavendish,
I'm afraid it really is trial & error. It depends on your climate & soil ( or what you plan to put in your containers), which may be very specific to you and what you want from your potatoes. When I first started growing some of the locals adviced me to try Ebden Blue & Kerrs Pink - absolutely awful for me the slugs loved them & ate most of my crop.
I got on really well with Arran Victory ( late maincrop), but found it too floury as it would quickly cook to nothing. I still grow a few for chips. The ones I've stuck with throughout my growing life have been Red Duke of York ( early/ second) & Pink Fir Apple ( late maincrop, but can be cropped earlier) . I love Golden Wonder ( late maincrop), but it doesn't crop well here. I had a great crop one year with a tattie called Kestral ( second early) from the Organic Gardening Catalogue - they haven't had it since or I've not looked properly. But I would love to get hold of it again. Others I've grown or grow with reasonable results are: Arran Pilot ( early) , British Queen( second early) & King Edwards ( maincrop). 
I'm trying some new varieties this year including Maris Bard ( early), which I've never grown before.
When you get the hang of the type of potato that is right for you & grows well, you'll be able to make a more confident choice of variety.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:45:32 am »
i regularly use sarpo mira and sarpo axona because of their amazing blight resistance, you can use them as a a second early or leave em in for a maincrop, the flavour isnt as good as some other varieties but due to the climate in cornwall blight resistance is a must!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS