Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large feeders  (Read 4572 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Large feeders
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:26:57 am »
I am looking for peoples opinions on the large 25kg feeders you see advertised. As I have different pens of things to feed in the morning i was wondering if an investment in one of these larger feeders would same me a little more time in the morning.
I often leave for work before light but am back in early afternoon. As we've had a fox problem at dawn I was considering these feeders and automatic pop hole openers for the morning time. The hens could be let out on their own, have access to the feeder after foxy has cleared off.  Good idea or bad?

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
Re: Large feeders
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:46:12 am »
Which type of feeder are you referring too? I have several types + when it comes to the treadle feeders the cocks with large single combs do not use them as it cuts them.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:12:26 am »
Are they out of reach of the crows? Otherwise a larger feeder might just draw the crows in more, they seem to be a bit brighter than your average chicken anyway....

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:31 am »
I use a 25kg feeder with a spiral on the bottom and the hens have no problem at all and they soon learn where the food is, the only thing i have found is that you have to use the larger pellets as the small ones fall too freely, but grain doesn't, I have also made them from 10kg feed buckets and got the spirals from game feed supplier or agri supplier, make sure the feeder is under a bit of cover it stops everything getting wet on the floor as you will have some spillage. hope that helps

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:01:16 am »
are talking about the feeders on tripod legs that the chooks help themselves to? i thought about those as thought it wud save time feeding everyday as it holds alot?

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:18:44 pm »
These are the ones i use,wouldnt be without saves so much time.We have had no problems with crows or birds.

www.newatlanticonline.co.uk/products/pet-supplies/poultry-supplies/drinkers-and-feeders/page-2.html

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:42:25 pm »
Funny, I was going to ask the same question as Declan. I've seen some advertised recently and we're hoping to expand the flock this year, so something like this woudl be great. And not too expensive. Would one be enough for 40 birds?

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:51:13 pm »
In 1 run we have 25 hens and this lasts them around 5 days depending on weather.

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 06:02:20 pm »
its on my wish list   ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »
I might put two in for 40 hens.

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:25:54 pm »
If we were to use these is there not a danger that they would overfeed?

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 11:05:38 am »
Never been a problem except for a few strains of meat birds.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:38:42 am »
Mine have adlib access to pellets at the moment - but it's two small feeders that have to be taken in and refilled every night. Ther're not rodent proof anyway.

I don't think laying hens do overeat, not looking at the amount of flesh on mine anyway.

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 06:59:05 pm »
mine get as much feed as they want and arent fat, though plenty of free range
these feeders - do they work with whole wheat and pellets? are they adjustable in what can fall through?
 :chook: :chook: :love:

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:15:43 pm »
You can adjust the height from the inside,mine have pellets and corn mixed in them.I said in early post lasts 25 birds 5 days on counting today there are 30 birds in that run and it was filled full on thursday morning and tonight was empty.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS