Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice Needed - Please :)  (Read 8047 times)

Libellule

• Joined Jan 2011
Advice Needed - Please :)
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:00:22 am »
Hi There

Just wondered if anyone may be able to help me?

I have 3 ewes (Ousseant) - 2 of these are in lamb. 

Last night one of the ewes got caught in the electric netting fence - she was on her side for about 15 mins I guess. (Very upsetting!) I got her untangled and took her into the barn where she calmed down pretty quickly.

I kept checking on her throughout the night to make sure she was ok - this morning she seems fine, it is cold and wer here today, so she didn't want to go outside.  She seems ok within herself - perhaps a little quiet (understandable).

I am really worried that it may have have harmed the unborn lamb or that she will abort - she is due in March. 

I have worked on the principle of treating her for shock - in terms of keeping her warm, calm and ensuring she has water and food close by.

Is there anything else that anyone can recommend that I could do?  We live in a rural part of France so I would have to take her to the vet which I think would cause her extra stress.

Any ideas - thanks in anticipation.

Regards

princesspiggy

Re: Advice Needed - Please :)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:03:37 am »
i dont know but i would imagine the less handling the better.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:04:09 am »
Hi, firstly I switch my electric fence off at night for this very reason or shut them in it was good that you found her so quickly.
It is possible she may abort  there  is very little that you can do apart from reduce any stress to a minimum. Its also possible that she will not and if that case i think it unlikely there will be any long term effects on the unborn lamb in terms of development assuming that it was able to cope with being shocked and that hasn't caused its heart to stop in which case again there is nothing you can do. in short keep an eye on her to watch for any signs of a dead foetus  keep her stress to a minimum and keep your fingers crossed I hope all goes well let us know.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:39 am »
with electric fence small animals only last 20min till death

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:50:48 pm »
Even big animals. I found my friends horse caught in the electric fence - she must have slipped and fallen and the top electric wire had got caught between her shoe and her hoof. I saw her in the distance and thought she was rolling, then thought she was fitting then realised, as I got closer, what was happening. She could only have been lke that for 15 minutes. She did survive until we cut her free and got her into the barn on a buckrake but she had to be pts that evening because she was brain damaged.It was horrible; I still can't think about it without crying. If she hadn't had shoes on, she would probably have been OK.

Hope your sheep is OK.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:56:14 pm »
I do know of a ouessant ewe that was caught in an eletric fence ( found in the morning god knows how long she had ben in there :'() she was suffering some cerebral shock or brain swelling as she was unable to stand move or even feed herself. it was touch and go and she was also blind but she is now pottering around perfectly mobile and although still has some vision problems is able to run with the flock as one of them. a sobering lesson.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:34:10 pm »
with any form of livestock you have to be vigilant or they have a tendance to become deadstock

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:48:49 pm »
Personally I would never use electric netting with primitive sheep....and I have had a few in my time! I too have Ouessants and would never leave them alone with it unless very very taught between posts and on mains......and even then would be very twitchy about it and only in and emergency as they are very curious. Sheep are very well insulated and often can get their head through without being shocked....problem is their head gets 'got' on the way back and they then push forward to get away from the shock and the result is often strangulation as the wool gets tangled to a knot in the plastic wires!

You are better off getting some stock fence....grillage I believe in French.....as they are better with that!

As for what will happen now.....its possible the ewe will be ok...depends if the lectric was mains, 12v, 6v or poor and how stressed she got. I would leave it to her whether she wants to be in or out and keep fingers crossed!

good luck
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:18 pm »
excuse my ignorance but is "ouessants" a breed of sheep?
i heard of a billy that died on electric netting.
good luck tho

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 01:21:54 am »
I spent the last year removing the crappy job the farmer put in and replacing it with something that works.  I think its very important that the fence is well tensioned and especially with horses that the fence can be seen.  I'm not fond of wire even though its the cheapest and most efficient in the long term because it is hard to see.

Done properly the layout is flexible and the tape/rope/wire is tight and can easily be retightened 

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 07:54:22 am »

Libellule

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »
Hi Everyone

Firstly thank you everyone for your comments - I was surprised to log in and find so many in a short space of time.

An update - the ewe "Truffles" has recovered very well, she has been eating well today and although quiet seems ok.  She comes up for cuddles and eats as she used to the day before.

At this stage there are no signs that her lamb will be aborted - I am keeping a close eye on her for any signs of this occuring.

I did also consult with a vet who gave some good advice - happy to share if others would find this useful?  The main thing I need to ensure if that she continues to eat well and a good high quality hay along with pellets and grass.  This is to ensure that she does not go into "ketosis" after the event.

The vet thought that there was actually a 50/50 chance that she could go full term without any problems however if she is going to abort from this it would occur in 2 - 3 days - so there is nothing we can do apart from wait.

Once she makes a full recovery and lambs (fingers crossed!)  I will post a picture for you all to see!

Many Thanks again for your replies.

P.S  - Rosemary - I am very sorry to hear about your friends horse - so sad

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »
An ouessant is a small breed of sheep.

- - - - - - -

Terrible stories, very sad.

I never use electric netting around any livestock other than chickens, and when I have used it, it is only on during the day and when I am about. I have always used it as a temporary measure only.

Libellule

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:50 am »
Hi All

I just wanted to let you know that our Ewe gave birth to a cute little lamb this morning!

All is well with them both - I am so relieved that the trauma didn't affect either of them!

Thanks for the support :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 11:26:38 am »
Lovely news  :)  Looking forward to the pics  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS