Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My girls  (Read 11922 times)

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
My girls
« on: October 21, 2007, 08:20:08 pm »
Hi, my name is Jan Hyams and Dan very kindly gave me invaluable help last year when we first had our girls.  We have 2 Calder Rangers, 3 Cream Legbars, and 1 ex batt.  We unfortunately lost 1 Cream Legbar and 1 exbatt last winter.  At the moment they are starting to feather up wonderfully after their moult, and because our cream legbars had come from an unfortunate background this is the first time they have had fluffy bottoms....anyway we also have 4 Terriers, and 1 cat (who sleeps in the chicken house if she gets a chance!!)..Anyway it will be lovely to see this forum grow, so if you have any feathered friends, come and join in... Janx ;D

MossbackFarm

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: My girls
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:36:43 pm »
Hello - our dog isn't much good with the predators either. Racoons and Great Horned Owls are the problems in our neighborhood. My older birds are just starting to moult, and the batch of Rhode Island Reds aren't yet laying, though I keep expecting them too since we got them as chicks in mid-May. All this, just when I"m craving an omlette!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:58:23 pm »
Hi I'm Hilary's mum.  We have a troup of  Marans all very free range.  The cockerel has ambitions to be a budgie and to move in to the large hencoop coloquially known as our house.  His favourite perches being the back of the sofa and the computer screen.  The dogs and cats tend to ignore him.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:38:52 am »
I have a mental picture of Calder Rangers in uniforms something similar to US traffic cops - you, know khaki with wide brimmed hats. How sad is that?

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:09:03 pm »
Ooo now theres a thought Rosemary!! ;D

Drystonewall

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:56:19 am »
Hello - our dog isn't much good with the predators either. Racoons and Great Horned Owls are the problems in our neighborhood. My older birds are just starting to moult, and the batch of Rhode Island Reds aren't yet laying, though I keep expecting them too since we got them as chicks in mid-May. All this, just when I"m craving an omlette!

Not in Yorkshire then?  :D

katrina4068

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:23:01 pm »

Hi, i'm Katirna, we have 3 ex battery girls, 2 ambers and a black one (not a clue... flame like pattern on her breast though... far to handsome to be a girl..)
what is it wiht chickens and as you put it the giant chicken coop?
The second the back door is open 5 of the 6 make a beeline for the house, normally to finish off the cat food if they can, have a peck about in the conservatory and generally refuse to leave when approached... so far only one has made it too the hallway where luckily she was spotted and removed PDQ. i'd invest in a stair gate for the summertime but the ambers and the black one can jump quite high unlike the battery girls!!
someone once said if you have a teenager in the house have pets so someone is pleased to see you and they werent worng... spotted from a mile off the second we enter the dinign room or the conservatory and if you dare to walk through the garden with your toast or bowl of cereals youre surrounded! actually they do that all the time anyway.. the constant promise of grub....
i figured the house invading was due to their noseyness!!

also owner of a pair of campbell white ducks (Buster and Belle).
Hav to say that as we live in a town (with big big garden) chickens and ducks a bit of an amusement and what we've never been able to get over is how everyone gravitates to the conservatory or garden to watch them all  whenever we have people round! or i fact those who just pop round to see them!!!
have to say the hours os pleasure derived from having them is untrue and much as my work mates think i'm very odd they all have their own personailites.. their own habits and their own endearing traits (this is not however when delilah waits for you to fall asleep on the grass in the summer then pecks your toes!!)
liuckin' used to jump up onto the corn bin and start shouting if i got home from work and dint beeline to the treat store!!
really pleased to have found this forum!! lets see some pictures of everyones girls (and boys!)

k

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 08:42:30 pm »
We swapped two Light Sussex for two Black Rocks. The Black Rocks are soooo nosey - we found one in the bathroom (we think it must have come in the open window, since the bathroom is at the opposite end of the house from the back door) and found one perched on the cooker. Should have just opened the oven...

Rosemary

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS