Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quick evergreen hedge  (Read 24994 times)

waterhouse

Re: Quick evergreen hedge
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:58:53 am »
We planted willow about 2ft stems last spring and they are 8-10ft now.  Marvellous esp near water.  Can't see an SSSI problem.

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:21 pm »
we planted hundreds of willows and poplars last year, poplars are now 5ft high, planted them close together to make a hedge. the willows arent far behind in height. the ones that were planted through black plastic (which was weighed down with manure) are 3 x the height of the ones that were put straight into ground.
unfortunately a pony leant over fence and ate a few of the poplars down quite low so im hoping they will regrow.
we used bowhayes and were happy with them but u cud prob get cheaper. also someone recommended alder for wet areas, though never tried that one.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 01:53:26 am »
Thanks I've seen the willow and poplar screens advertised. Will need a lot but would be airtight to have some privacy.

waterhouse

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 03:46:10 am »
Saw an article suggesting using lots of willows to build an arbour in the garden.  In ten years these wispy wands will be chunky trees.  Is willow going to be the next Leylandii problem?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 05:16:57 am »
Saw an article suggesting using lots of willows to build an arbour in the garden.  In ten years these wispy wands will be chunky trees.  Is willow going to be the next Leylandii problem?
Does anyone know if Leylandii just keep on growing or do they have a maximum height?  I have an avenue of them here.  Planted two years after the house was built I'm told.  I planted some Willow last year, so I do hope you're wrong  ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterhouse

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 11:14:29 am »
I found this pic

Our predecessor planted lots and lots about 12 years ago.  We get three blokes in for two days each year to trim them down to 3m high and they do break wind well (ahem).  One is by itself as a tree and is about 7m high now

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 11:58:30 am »
willow is good for horses as well, have i look what varieties, i planted white willow last year in our old house for the horses, i will be planting the same this year in our new house, gosh it goes quick, and if you plait it it makes a cracking thick wind break  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 12:55:42 pm »
I found this pic

Our predecessor planted lots and lots about 12 years ago.  We get three blokes in for two days each year to trim them down to 3m high and they do break wind well (ahem).  One is by itself as a tree and is about 7m high now
Mine are 20 years old and 40 feet high ( hmm 12 metres?)  They can stop growing now thank you. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 05:21:30 pm »
my daughters school has willow structures,tunnels and fences,  planted and created instantly, they get people in to prune and tidy them but dont seem out of control or growing too thick. iv seen mature poplars that have really thick trunks but to make  hedge iv (as advised) planted them 3 ft apart so i presume they will only grow to the space provided? (like goldfish  lol) otherwise their trunks would be touching. mature willows on my farm (15 years) have tended to have mulitiple shoots at base as opposed to be overheight.

princesspiggy

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 05:25:44 pm »
does anyone know how to plant gorse? i want it to grow down the fence line, took cuttings and put in ground like u would for willows etc but never grew. wev loads growing in wrong place so if i could transplant it for nothing it wud be great.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »
I think willow definately makes sense. Thanks all.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 03:56:33 pm »
does anyone know how to plant gorse?
Using big thick padded gloves? ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS