Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quick evergreen hedge  (Read 24987 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Quick evergreen hedge
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:20:53 pm »
I need a quick growing hedge as a border to a stream along my field. Can't be poisonous to horses and needs to be evergreen. What would you go for as I suspect leylandi would cause complaints from planners ( can they even complain tho?)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Quick evergreen hedge
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:26:18 pm »
I thought anything evergreen should be regarded as poisonous? How about a beech hedge, that greens up in summer but keeps its brown leaves through winter.You could interplant with thorn shrubs which are quick growing if you require a quicker barrier

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:58 pm »
Willow is one of the quickest growing trees you can get (not evergreen though :(), and they love wetter conditions. You could lay the trees into a hedge quite easily and once you get the size/height you want just keep trimmimg it back (handy if you've got a wood burner  ;) or want to sell/give away willow cuttings) If you want some just let me know - I can post some cuttings to you (allow 1 per foot)
Take care,
Karen x

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:35:57 pm »
Is it? I can keep the horses away from it just prefer not to take chances so I know laurel is out. I need something that's going to grow rapidly to give us privacy I planted a native hedge last year and it's not really taken off at all.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 07:37:03 pm »
In my experience fast growing or slow growing they take a few years to establish, then your fast growing really cause a problem as they need constant maintenance.

A good evergreen hedge would be holly.  As usual it is slow to start, but once established is fairly quick to grow and gives a nice looking evergreen hedge which is no problem to animals.  

Don't forget that any young hedging plants will need protection from things that will eat them - for example, rabbits, sheep, cattle, horses etc etc. And also may need weeding out to prevent being overshadowed by weeds.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:38:55 pm »
Thanks Karen There are 6 very old willow trees along there but they're massive and protected so can't touch them. I read about willow screens and thought about this but the river is an sssi would the EA object do you think?

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:46:06 pm »
willow is one of the easiest trees to grow in spring cut the shoots of the branches push in the ground and they grow simple

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 07:48:36 pm »
So if I attack under cover of darkness as they're protected how big should I cut the shoots ?

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 07:51:03 pm »
Griselinia is an evergreen - grows reasonable fast - very hardy for windy areas, makes good windbreak - not sure if okay for all animals - though the cows next door to our old house ate it with out any dire results.  Did save us cutting it on that side ;D
If you can start with 12" - 18" plants it will grow about 12" in a year - plant every 2' - be cruel and top every year so that it branches out and doesn't just grow up leggy.  Ours grew to 6' in 5 years, but we did keep it trimed twice a year.  It will grow from cutting - stick a whole load in the ground/pot leave for a year and they will have rooted.
You are never to old to learn something new

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »
just the twigs  if there is other willow trees of a different variety that you like cut them for planting it is just coopposing

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:48 pm »
Chop off some long thin twigs Helen - no thicker than your finger, then chop them into 8 inch lengths and as Lillian says, just chuck 'em in the ground. As long as the cuts are neat they should all take without problems. If you're unsure plant 2 per foot and pull out the excess once you know how many have taken  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »
in good soil they will grow  3ft easy

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »
Cheers both when the weather warms up I'll have a go. Cheaper than buying an evergreen hedge .

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 09:07:20 pm »
As long as you do it before the sap starts rising (and wee green buds form) they'll get off to a flying start !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:27 pm »
I can corroborate that - got willow pencils from Karen last year and they've nearly all taken.  Some are over 3 ft already! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS