Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greengages  (Read 3136 times)

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Greengages
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:07:16 pm »
Does anyone in the Frozen North have any success with greengages?

I would like to expand upon the few fruit trees we have and for some reason a greengage has popped into my head even though I haven't had any since I was a kid. We have a Victoria plum which does well - every other year, three pear trees and a Howgate Wonder cooking apple tree which produces tons every year (so far!). ditto the Morello cherry (and 'geans').

Advice gratefully appreciated. Ta. X

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Greengages
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:19 pm »
We had a gage tree in Alloa - not exactly the frozen North though. It wasn't very old so can't judge yield but flavour was fabulous.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:33:53 pm »
We are in the south of Scotland but 1000' up.  Victorias simply won't grow here but we have a lovely golden gage - Ouillin's Golden Gage - which crops really heavily each year and gives fruit which is so sweet it can be eaten raw, or made into jam or stewed.  Merryweather damson also grows well although the trees don't last many years. Mirabelles also do well and can be grown in a hedgerow - their fruit is small so loads of pips/stones but they make a really delicious jam.  We also had a Czar plum which cropped very well in it's first couple of years but then keeled over when we had to move it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:00:15 am »
That's the gage we had - it was delicious. We also had Czar plums, which was a nice fruit.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:22:27 pm »
I got a greengage tree last year, nothing off it last year, but that's only to be expected. I love greengage's- and so often people have no idea what they are! My aunt has three gage trees, for the last 3 years, and still hasn't produced more than one or two fruit, so you might need to wait a while for the fruit!

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS