Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallows'23  (Read 20482 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Swallows'23
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2023, 02:26:38 pm »
It does seem to have been a really scattered departure this year.  Most of our swallows left a month ago which is unusually early, then I realised a few were still around.  Yesterday I noticed a couple of young ones still flying around the barn.  They will surely go now.  During the mini late heat wave there were lots of newly hatched flying insects for them to feast on, especially over water, but including a lot of butterflies, but now it's really quite cool here in the south of Scotland so there isn't much left for them to eat.
Personally I am dreading the winter, but looking forward to the migrant birds' return gives me something to look forward to  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2023, 01:52:06 pm »
There are still a few flying over the centre of our village. Very mild at the moment so still lots of insects around. Looking back at last year, Penninehillbilly saw some in Yorkshire on 1st October so we may have another week to go  :fc:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2023, 04:59:52 pm »
Despite the silly temperatures here (+4C over seasonal and a new record for September) all ours left yesterday. Their numbers began to reduce last week, but despite all the flying insects, there are no more flying about. Perhaps they can only eat so much?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2023, 12:33:06 pm »
They are STILL here. And there are some young chiff-chaffs as well.

Must be the warm weather. It was 17 degrees here last night, not the 6-7 degrees that we normally have at this time of year.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2023, 11:38:41 am »
They've all gone now. Haven't seen any for a couple of days. They probably took advantage of the north-westerly wind that we had in the middle of the week.

We've still got a couple of chiff-chaffs though. I've read that some have started to overwinter in southern England so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS