Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallows'23  (Read 20483 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Swallows'23
« on: April 11, 2023, 11:22:09 am »
Heard that wonderful twittering and chuntering in the barn this morning, lifts my spirits  :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Swallows'23
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 01:20:52 pm »
First one of the season here in South Scotland this morning as well. Quite early for us. The Ospreys were early at Loch Arkaig too  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 01:29:58 pm »
Very early for us as well, and they've just sent hubby out of barn  :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 05:02:22 pm »
Haven't seen any here in Carnoustie yet.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 05:30:31 pm »
They're on their way, Rosemary. I saw our first yesterday, and we're in Stirling.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 10:46:08 am »
And I thought I was going to be the first one to post! I thought I saw a swallow on Easter Monday but the wind was so strong that it whizzed past me too quickly to identify properly. But I saw three at the same spot this morning so they are definitely here. Spring has definitely arrived!   :sunshine:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 03:11:39 pm »
aaaand they are back ! 10 days earlier than last year. North Aberdeenshire by Peterhead
Thank goodness .
I promised myself to hang on until they arrived, ever so pleased to say the least.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 02:09:51 pm »
aaaand they are back ! 10 days earlier than last year. North Aberdeenshire by Peterhead
Thank goodness .
I promised myself to hang on until they arrived, ever so pleased to say the least.

Now enjoy the whole summer they are here RtB  :love:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 03:02:33 pm »
The second brood of chicks fledged and have been learning skills suck as catch the feather dropped by mother , never seen this before , over an hour watching this , picking up water fro the puddle whilst still in flight and the adult who still cant get it right without splashing in to the water, I think this is " Dopey" a juvenile who had the same issue last year.
But unlike previous years there is no sign of any laying of eggs for a  third hatching ,just no sign of any one nesting anywhere on the place.

Forestlens

• Joined Jul 2020
  • North Devon
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 04:41:23 pm »
We’re on our third brood. We had 8 or 9 nests and they all had 4 or 5 in each. The number on the third brood is less though. The earliest brood seem to have moved on as the place has quietened down considerably! The level of guano production has consequently also reduced!,

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023, 08:42:59 pm »
Seems to me all species of Hirundinidae here (mid Cornwall) are in extremely low numbers this year (perhaps they've decided to move farther north for their brooding summer holiday !!??).  For example, previously abundant Martins at one of my gardening client's place have been in very "short supply" this year and the very few have already gone. However, good to see at least one of two swallow nests at a friend's house has another brood (I don't know whether 2nd or 3rd). 

[In passing, I have been enjoying the sight of Red Kites while sitting-out in the above-mentioned friend's garden over recent months. However, no sighting during a visit last week so I'm wondering whether any off-spring have fully fledged and whether the family has moved elsewhere for whatever reason.]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 08:45:42 pm by arobwk »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 02:13:39 am »
We've just had a brood fledged, I think it's 3rd lot, but something strange, if it's from the same pair, they've moved from original nest to one on other side of girder. But out this morning. All babes sat on top of bird box outside barn, waiting for breakfast.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 08:47:06 am »
Our house martins have done well ....  usual 2 nests have produced 2 broods each and a third nest went up mid summer and has also produced a brood.

Swallows here have had real issues the last 2 years .... only one pair (instead of the 5or6 of previous years) and they seem to have done same as last year ... first brood failed .... last year second brood fledged but I'm not sure if the second brood is growing or not this year ... there was lots of activity but not in last couple of weeks.    I'm going to pull these nests down late Sept and see if there is any evidence.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 02:18:46 pm »
Weirdly our swallows have all gone!  After a busy summer and lots of babies, there's no-one in the skies  ???

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 04:49:59 pm »
Just sat down with a cuppa and thought it was quiet .... then realised all three nests of house martins must have left today (I said hello to them this morning!)

Now feeling very SAD
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS