Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling finishers  (Read 17576 times)

princesspiggy

Re: selling finishers
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 12:59:56 pm »
:wave:
i would try supplying farm shops or resturants.

thats a good idea, never thot about resturants.
does anyone know if you needa wild animal licence for wild boar hybrids? im sure u do for wild boars.

robert waddell

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »
there was a court case in Scotland in which it was proved that there were no wild boar in Scotland (going by the true definition) however you have to have them securely fenced in and they take longer to mature with less piglets per litter and they are very aggressive not to be taken for granted even if you have been used to pigs especially if they have piglets

princesspiggy

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 05:08:52 pm »
what are those at aviemore wildlife park?  and ate wildboar sausage in aviemore restaurant.  seen tam x wild boar in ad in paper.

robert waddell

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 05:38:59 pm »
the last time i was at aviemore was 76 tam/wild boar is the wrong way round it should be wild boar sows / gilts crossed with tamworth we had them  so are not talking s###e we know somebody that has them  he has the licence the fencing that complies  with keeping them and the carry on getting them in to sell and its not every slaughter house that takes them     however every obstacle can be overcome

princesspiggy

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2010, 05:47:58 pm »
interesting. maybe in 10 yrs (lol) why w/b sows and not other way round? are they crossed with tams to increase size? was at aviemore 5 yrs back, had wildboar and piglets then, we went to see the wolves but they must have been hiding, was snowing then aswell!! if wed bin a day later we'd have got stuck there for 3 weeks!!

robert waddell

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2010, 05:51:48 pm »
reduces the aggression

princesspiggy

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2010, 05:57:46 pm »
cud u not use w/b AI on tam sows?

robert waddell

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2010, 06:02:11 pm »
i think you have got your niche market go on girl go for it

princesspiggy

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »
dont know if ur joking   lol  :D :D
wud u need license 4 hybrids in that case and where wud u get straws 4 that from.

by the way - just wondering - the tam boar for AI at deerpark, is he show standard? seems to be only boar available that i can find!

HappyHippy

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2010, 06:35:05 pm »
If you are going to keep wild boar you'll need a dangerous animal licence - a quick google will tell you all you need to know  ;) I looked a while back, but think I must've forgotten it all ! I know you need REALLY SECURE fencing and all sorts of red tape and legislation - I was quite quickly put off just by that ! I think it was Hilary's mum who said they're fairly 'bitey' and very good at escaping. :-\
IF, you're going to go for it, I'd suggest fattening and slaughtering a couple first, just to give you a chance to see how they are to handle and what they actually taste like. Just trying to be the voice of reason lol!

princesspiggy

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 06:38:11 pm »
its been back of mind for 5 years. beta wait until kids can run a bit faster tho!!   :pig: :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 06:47:06 pm »
well thats the thing with o/h and myself its up to you to decide
no hybrids just crosses i thought you were cornering this aspect
Richard overend should answer this it is not for me to comment on a stalwart of tamworth breed

princesspiggy

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2010, 06:55:42 pm »
i must be a bit thick here.
i thot a tam x w/b was a hybrid, like a wolfxdog is a hybrid? am i  wrong here?

robert waddell

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2010, 08:00:10 pm »
possibly the first cross could be considered a hybrid
then you have no back up IE paperwork only word of mouth and we all know how relliable that is
every time it is crossed with the tamworth it is less than it was and more tamworth is it still a hybrid or threequarter tamworth or dolly mixture depends if you are buyer seller or observer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS