Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My new sheep  (Read 5598 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: My new sheep
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 12:32:27 am »
We have bred Hebs for 15 years and always lamb outside, with just a shelter in each field and some bales for the lambs to snuggle down behind.  The only ewe who ignored one lamb was one I had forgotten was a first timer, but I just picked up the lamb and put it with the twin and all was well. Actually that ewe was a bit of a nutter and we sold her - shouldn't have bought her in the first place  ::). In general Hebs are the best of mothers - they will defend their twins against most predators if they can.  At night they all collect together in a circle with the lambs towards the middle, just like buffalo and bison.  They are also full of character and individuality - you will soon realise that you can identify your ewes by their voices without even being able to see them. I love my flock.  We have just taken the tups out from their tupping groups today and put them back in the male paddock so they are all having a big bust-up.  We are looking forward to some cracking lambs in April.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:20 am »
poddy lamb/calve means hand fed, not neccessarily orphaned tho. our first ever sheep were xbreed lambs that were triplets so we got them and handreared them, cos 2 lambs was more than enough for the ewes.

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 09:58:11 am »
maybe i just had bad luck then, i blamed myself and sold my ewes that year and havent lambed for 2 years. wer restocking this spring with 4 new ewes. wev still got a few heb to send away.(not bobby tho- ha) their meat is sooo good.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 10:28:05 am »
I've never heard the term 'Poddy' - I like it  ;D    We call 'em Mollies  8)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

princesspiggy

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 10:47:37 am »
i think its an australian term, used to live there so it stuck, we use to watch the rodeos there, kids (not mind tho!!) wud ride the poddy bulls in ring, last about 2 seconds. i use to hate thought of rodeos until i realised even the champion guys only lasted about 8 seconds on the bulls. dont ride the horse rodeos though, but then i dont like horses at auction either, brings lump to throat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS