Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My new sheep  (Read 5597 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
My new sheep
« on: December 14, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »
Thanks to robate55 who i collected my new sheep from today finally after all this snow,here they are.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: My new sheep
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:14:48 pm »
I definitely approve of the breed you've chosen  ;D ;D  You will love them  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:22:37 pm »
Im so pleased they have been following us around all afternoon while we finished there shelter and fingers crossed they are all in lamb.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:23:50 pm »
Is that a Lleylandii hedge in the background? If yes, make sure your sheep can't nibble on it. But is should provide good cover from the wind I guess?

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 08:11:09 pm »
They were in our garden this summer with Leylandii before we cut it down. It seems to be one of the few things they didn't eat.

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:13:07 pm »
They look happy there. There is a bit more grass than they had here recently

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »
Anke
They are conifers as i have no gardening sence are they the same as leylandi? it is our boundry fence they are about 100ft high maybe more,there is a 5ft fence inside so they shouldnt be able to reach as we chop any branches that poke through as it shorts the electric fence for the horses.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18:50 pm »
What's that green stuff they're standing on?  ;D

They look lovely.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:10:16 am »
Anke
They are conifers as i have no gardening sence are they the same as leylandi? it is our boundry fence they are about 100ft high maybe more,there is a 5ft fence inside so they shouldnt be able to reach as we chop any branches that poke through as it shorts the electric fence for the horses.

Hi Piggy - Hebs are very much taller than 5' when they stand on their back legs, which they will to reach browsing  ::).  The polled one will also be able to get her head through the top mesh, if she's anything like as determined as my polled ones.  I can't imagine them eating Leylandii as not much finds it palateable, but best to be aware.
Looking forward to pics of the lamb crop  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:05:06 pm »
They're very nice Piggy, I think I want some!!

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 07:32:48 pm »
wev got hebrideans, watch them if theyre lambing in your field, cos they have a tendancy to have twins but abandon one lamb and only look after the one. would be better to have them in pens or inside when lambing. our bobby is still here, 4 years later after being abandoned and hand-reared. couldnt part with him as hes so tame and completely spoilt. theyre lovely though - just wondering what was on grass - hope fox didnt take a goose?  :farmer: ;D

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 07:44:27 pm »
The seven in the picture all lambed outside last year - six had twins. We brought them in after for a day or two after, but none of the 19 who lambed last year were any trouble with the lambs
Rose

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 07:54:46 pm »
Gordon - We still have ewe lambs for sale off those ewes in April if you really want some!! bg

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:29:01 pm »
that makes me feel better, id always felt guilty leaving them outside to lamb,(was only little paddock in sight from kitchen) each ewe denied he was hers so we took him in house. we had rather delightful summer with him, and hes still here. we also had a lamb with broken leg after week, apparently ewe must have stood on him. had plaster cast on for few weeks. and (comes in threes) one lamb somehow got his head stuck between tree and the wooden stake that was supporting it, of course during april blizzard! his mother denied he was hers after that aswell, but they were all fine. and i tell you poddy lambs sell like hotcakes, we only sold 2 but could have sold 30. lovely breed, especially if, like me,you find the larger are sheep are heavy to handle. goodluck

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 10:50:23 pm »
what is a "poddy lamb" please?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS