Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone who's anyone going to attend COP27 from Britain?  (Read 3431 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Is anyone who's anyone going to attend COP27 from Britain?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2022, 11:19:41 am »
I thought though we do not discuss politics on this site....
I agree, we should not be discussing the pros and cons of each devolved government, but the UK government MUST be held to account as it holds power over and controls all the devolved nations
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 11:22:12 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2022, 01:23:21 pm »

I thought though we do not discuss politics on this site...

Sorry, i don't intend to be political, climate change should not be a political issue. There's no question that we (human beings) need to be doing more about it.

But as different political parties have very different priorities... - hence my emphasising importance of voting.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2022, 03:55:52 pm »
I thought though we do not discuss politics on this site....
I agree, we should not be discussing the pros and cons of each devolved government, but the UK government MUST be held to account as it holds power over and controls all the devolved nations
Why just the UK Government? It doesn't "control" the devolved governments in devolved matters (except, of course in the matter of budgets).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2022, 04:44:46 pm »

Does no-one else on TAS care about what's happening to our planet?
Yes of course but the question was answered

And the planet will be better off without us anyway.  It will survive even if we don't:  the sh1t weather and radioactivity will both persist after we've pretty much wiped ourselves out, but it will survive !!

That's a given.  The planet will survive.  Doing something about Climate Change, slowing it, preventing it, whatever, is about saving the Human Race and our home.  Sometimes I do wonder why, but then I remember all the wonderful individual people I have and have not known.  Yes there are some who don't seem so worthwhile, but perhaps like wasps and death watch beetles to Nature, they are essential parts of Humanity, we just don't know why.

Perhaps those who talk the talk should rename it Project Save the Human Race - I like that  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2022, 05:11:39 pm »
Agree with everything that Steph said.... have totally switched off. For my own sanity I make some environmental-positive decisions and not others...

I thought though we do not discuss politics on this site...

Everything we do and say has a 'political' aspect to a greater or lesser degree. If Dan thinks we are discussing politics then he will turn us off, but if he sees that we are discussing our very survival and our contribution to it then he may let us carry on. Party politics has to come into any discussion about our survival in the face of climate change, because any major changes to reduce our warming world have to be the decisions made by politicians.  There are endless things we can do on a small scale, but the big, glamorous, game changers will be Politics led. It makes me cringe because all politicians have a short term view which acts against the long term decisions we need.  Yes, we must vote to try our best to get the best people onto the job then keep them on track.  One person doesn't make a difference, but lots of people of the same mind do, and the more we discuss Climate Change and its impact on our survival the more people there are of like mind to influence the decision makers.  It's not a perfect system but it's what we've got to work with.

I'm sorry to see you opting out [member=28951]Steph Hen[/member]  but I find [member=2177]mab[/member] 's comments to be positive and encouraging - we just have to carry on doing everything we possibly can.  You can't and shouldn't shield children from life. I grew up in the Cold War and it was terrifying for years.  But to pretend to your children that our Earth is jogging along fine and it's worth their while to plan a future for themselves, is to deny that if we don't slow down this hell for leather dive to destruction of our race then our children have no future.  I have children, grandchildren and the possibility of great grandchildren looming, so I will do everything in my power, small as it is, to ensure their future.  Don't stick your head in the sand Steph, step up and defend your children.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 05:14:57 pm by Fleecewife »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2022, 05:21:44 pm »
Rather than flying to Egypt perhaps King Charles would prefer to attend via zoom, thus reducing air pollution

:coat:

Perhaps Joe Biden and his enormous cavalcade of planes, lorries, cars and body guards would like to contribute by zoom too.  Compared to that, even the Middle Eastern Potentates in their private jets are small fry in their damage to the planet and hence to us.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2022, 06:06:27 pm »
It’s ok, we do loads and I love discussing things with them. I like to operate with actionable solutions and skills which is empowering.
School and media had a tendency to operate on the big thinking which is scary.
Eg On puzzle sheets each colourful, single use page had a maze, colour-in, etc. As well as ‘doom facts’ about loss of biodiversity and endangered species, extinctions and habitat. Every page. A multiple times daily drip feed of this negativity is only harmful for 3-8 year olds. This age group aren’t empowered to decide where they go on holiday or how their family heats their house or how many children their parents choose to have!
Where as a discussion about choosing an apple snack over a Cadbury chocolate is a great project starter. (Transport networks, packaging, habitat, health, etc.) Or deciding whether to buy new Lego or second hand with pocket money). Valuing eggs, fish and meat on the dinner plate. Composting. Actionable for children=empowering, in my opinion.
My son was very sad recently when he found out about the energy cost of heating water. “Swimming pools are really bad mum. But I like swimming...”

Sorry for the overly detailed post, I am on side!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2022, 06:33:36 pm »
It’s ok, we do loads and I love discussing things with them. I like to operate with actionable solutions and skills which is empowering.
School and media had a tendency to operate on the big thinking which is scary.
Eg On puzzle sheets each colourful, single use page had a maze, colour-in, etc. As well as ‘doom facts’ about loss of biodiversity and endangered species, extinctions and habitat. Every page. A multiple times daily drip feed of this negativity is only harmful for 3-8 year olds. This age group aren’t empowered to decide where they go on holiday or how their family heats their house or how many children their parents choose to have!
Where as a discussion about choosing an apple snack over a Cadbury chocolate is a great project starter. (Transport networks, packaging, habitat, health, etc.) Or deciding whether to buy new Lego or second hand with pocket money). Valuing eggs, fish and meat on the dinner plate. Composting. Actionable for children=empowering, in my opinion.
My son was very sad recently when he found out about the energy cost of heating water. “Swimming pools are really bad mum. But I like swimming...”

Sorry for the overly detailed post, I am on side!

:wave: 8) :sunshine:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2022, 06:55:25 pm »
Well I read your post about 5 times [member=28951]Steph Hen[/member] before I realised you were actually writing some kind of English but a far different version than I am used to. I still can't understand what you are saying because it has terms in it I don't understand at all. I'm not criticising you- it's been 10 years since I was in England and clearly things have changed. "Empowering",'the big thinking','doom facts' (well I presume they are facts not Infox, so they might be bad but you must live with them). They started using 'buzzwords' in Engineering just before I stepped out of it and perhaps it has become widespread? Grandson said to me years ago- "you're a dinosaur Grandad".

I've seen this in French classes in England. We went to them only to find that what we were learning was 30 years out of date. They don't talk like that anymore, so despite learning 'French' it was next to useless.

Sorry, I'm not contributing to this thread but......

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2022, 11:13:50 pm »
It has been mentioned tonight that King Charles contributing to COP27 with a virtual message or a video link 'has not been ruled out' ie it's a possibility.
The reason I think it's important that the King of Great Britain should make some contribution is because the world expects it so it would be a slap in the face for other countries if he seemed not to bother after his lifelong interest in Climate Change and its effects on the Human Race. 
He is also organising a get together of the 'climate' movers and shakers ahead of COP27, presumably to consolidate the UK's approach and see if we have made any advances this year.  Well, I'm pleased with that as a second best - our King hasn't given up!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2022, 08:02:22 pm »
Ah well Dishy Rishi has decided to join Nicola and go to Egypt now. Will they share transport I wonder  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS