Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone who's anyone going to attend COP27 from Britain?  (Read 3433 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Is anyone who's anyone going to attend COP27 from Britain?
« on: October 27, 2022, 05:29:08 pm »
We know that without commitment and drastic action by the whole world, the human race is doomed by the effects of mankind-induced Climate Change.  No I'm not a raving loonie, just a scientist looking at the facts.
So why is Britain not sending our new prime Minister, his Chancellor, and our Monarch to represent our country at the discussions?  Something more important to do?  NOTHING is more important to our species than survival.
There are plenty of superlatives I could use to describe how shocked I am, but they are all now overworked and meaningless.  Everything seemed so positive last year at COP26 in Glasgow, now Our country can't be bothered?
Does anyone know who from Wales, NI and Scotland will attend?  If Nicola isn't going then I shall stop voting for anyone anymore!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Is anyone who's anyone going to attend COP27 from Britain?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 06:47:50 pm »
https://www.thenational.scot/news/23083659.rishi-sunak-snubs-cop27-egypt-visit---nicola-sturgeon-set-attend/

Phew  :relief:, after I'd written that I realised I didn't want to stop voting  ::) . Good for you Nicola Sturgeon  :thumbsup:

What I don't understand is why King Charles doesn't just go.  He is the King after all and he really is concerned about climate change.  Maybe he will decide at the last minute to attend.

Does no-one else on TAS care about what's happening to our planet?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 07:20:37 pm »

Yes of course but the question was answered
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 09:31:56 pm »
I do care, and i vote accordingly - but other people voted these clowns in and the clowns will keep pandering to the fossil fuel industry until they're voted out.

I do hope king Charles does go too, but I expect he's still being pressured not to go by 'downing st'

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 12:27:14 am »

No, there were a couple of questions. I was hoping to open a discussion on the apathy towards Climate Change by the population and those who apparently lead us.  Are we all just exhausted by Covid?  I feel that way a bit but I am also immensely disappointed by the lack of any of the promised progress following COP 26. There was such a sweeping positive vibe then.  Or do people just have short attention spans? Even I sometimes thing 'oh, are we still banging on about Climate Change?  But we have to keep at it, we have to cause a change in attitude and approach to our planetary problems and start making some pretty big changes to our behaviour. Many nations are consumed with anger at this apathy and selfishness from 'developed' countries and we just sit here like fat cats.
I have a feeling that David Attenborough, who feels so strongly about the whole problem and its solution, is going to die before anyone actually does anything that will make a real difference.  Maybe that's what it will take.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 06:58:26 am »
Rather than flying to Egypt perhaps King Charles would prefer to attend via zoom, thus reducing air pollution

:coat:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 10:20:49 am »
If COP27 had the foresight to set that up it would certainly assist the cost in harm to the planet - does anyone know if they have?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 02:26:57 pm »

And the planet will be better off without us anyway.  It will survive even if we don't:  the sh1t weather and radioactivity will both persist after we've pretty much wiped ourselves out, but it will survive !! 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 02:29:58 pm by arobwk »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 06:00:25 pm »
Too disillusioned to care about COP and most of the current climate change angles.
The anti meat, milk, which I’m not into.
The obsessive tree planting by numbers game vs total amount carbon captured per hectare over lifespan of trees. They seem to just like to focus on the millions of trees planted. Little regard for the endless damage  caused by importing trees to fit the bill. Still not banned I see.

Not much help for farmers wanting to do regen ag. (or organic I believe) as in financial security in initial years of loss of yield/teething problems.
Next to zero help for trying to set up local organic veg box scheme and community growing/outdoor ed scheme. The politicians love the sound of our work but there’s zero govt money to back it up.
I’ve not been abroad in nearly nine years. I’ve friends who bang the drum for low carbon who fly multiple times a year and lecture me about eating Scottish steak and my harmful wood burning stoves.
Electric cars are currently a bit of a nonsense especially in this country with the grid near capacity and 3-7 day black outs last year in my neighbourhood.

Those at the top are still in their jet planes. When they give them up I’ll listen. Otherwise I couldn’t give two hoots about the celeb list for COP.

I know that this constant fear mongering has to stop as living in doom and gloom and guilt mode will also be killing us. It’s constant in schools with no signs of abating which is terrifying as teenagers are now being diagnosed with environmental depression and suicides based on the environmental reality “The world would be better off without me” as mentioned above are now a reality which families are having to deal with. I’d rather they switch off the noise about climate change for a couple of years.

I’m all for reducing pollution, reducing packaging, moving away from consumerism (#ban all advertising?), renewable clothes and energy, recycling, growing our own, eating seasonally, Uk holidays, loving nature, working with communities to love their environments and source/grow local food. Not interested in what internationals want to preach. If Nic was so bothered why is Scotland still extracting oil? Shouldn’t that have been stopped by now? I don’t understand the big international picture and how it’s ok for us to extract oil so long as we’re not using it..? Or doing a bit less than years ago..?
China built 60,000 miles of motorway last year, the reality is that while we should do what feels right, whatever Britain does will likely make zero difference to global emissions.

:coat:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 06:30:40 pm »
I agree with everything you have posted [member=28951]Steph Hen[/member] ,but now I have retired and am living on a very tight budget I can't afford to care too much; just keep expenditure to a minimum. Yes, there is a huge amount of wastage by those who have so much money they haven't even bothered to think about the environmental impact of it.

So what can we do? So what can we do??? Reality is nothing much. We keep limiting our damage but we are all wrecking the planet, just some more than others.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 12:26:27 am »
So what can we do? So what can we do??? Reality is nothing much....

Well you can vote - not for the one who has the best TV personality, but for the policies - and no, they're NOT all the same; that's just the excuse of people who can't be a***d to look into it an go and vote.

Regardless of who actually gets voted in,  you can write to your MP and ask them about their policies,  push them on issues that matter to you, and if they don't answer badger them until they do ( though you may want to give them several days grace - to be fair they do tent to be busy).

I suspect a lot of us on here already do quite a bit - growing our own food & and fuel (for woodburners) at least.

COP27 is important, as is our representation (or lack thereof) - we are perceived as a wealthy country, and one of the industrialised nations that have enjoyed the benefits of getting rich by use of fossil fuels, so we need to be seen to be making commitments to persuade others to do likewise.

It might seem like we're too small to make a difference compared to China for e.g., but i think we still have a higher per-capita carbon footprint than China.  Also we (and other western industrialised nations have a track record of failing to meet out promised commitments to renewable installations wheras China tends to promise less but then exceed what they promised.

I believe the UK is responsible for about 1% of global emmissions and have about 1% of the population making us about average; that doesn't sound too bad, but then the entire continent of Africa is responsible for just 4% of emmissions (pop 1.4 billion - 17%), and in that context we should certainly be doing more.

Sorry I'm rambling on a bit, and i do sympathise with Steph Hens POV about doom and gloom - i listen to R4 and they seem to have switched, around 2 years ago, from climate change denial to an almost constant stream of climate gloom. I do suffer from 'Climate depression ' and it can make it difficult to get up in the morning,  but it also pushes me to try and actively do SOMETHING  - even if it's just badgering my MP  :)  , or getting on my bike instead of driving for a short journey  ::) [size=78%].[/size]

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2022, 08:40:12 am »
If Nic was so bothered why is Scotland still extracting oil?

Energy policy is a reserved matter to Westminster, so ScotGov cannot stop it. It has said it will orevent fracking and coal through the planning process, which is devolved.

I'm not an expert on oil, but I believe there are different kinds, and North Sea oil is "higher quality". If we stop, there will just be more low quality oil extracted elsewhere.

I don't think ScotGov is perfect, but it's making progress. The tree planting is depressing - especially with plastic tree guards.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 09:21:43 am »
Agree with everything that Steph said.... have totally switched off. For my own sanity I make some environmental-positive decisions and not others...

I thought though we do not discuss politics on this site...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2022, 10:29:43 am »
I thought though we do not discuss politics on this site...
So don't discuss it. I'm not sure it is politics - certainly not party politics.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS