Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How will we know if our pig is pregnant  (Read 29737 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
How will we know if our pig is pregnant
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:18:33 pm »
We bought 2 adult pigs and 2 weaners about a month ago they are kept together in a large pen with an ark for shelter,we were told that 1 of the adult pigs could be pregnant
Will we see any signs or will we just see piglets 1 day.

Will we need to do anything special for the mum?

Will she need her own run?

Thanks

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: How will we know if our pig is pregnant
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:52:58 pm »
If you see one of the adults thumbing through a Mothercare Catalogue,sending the other pig out for a MacDonalds at 3am and demanding pilchards and ice-cream then take that as a sign. Even subtle hints,like digging out a Dulux colour card or mentioning that it likes that name when reading the credits of a film just watched,or bursts into tears for no apparent reason,be aware,be very aware.

"There are pregnancy kits available,but are expensive. Another way of telling is by squeezing her udder slightly and,if she is pregnant,will secrete milk. This,however,can only be done one day before she is due to farrow. Two weeks before she is due to farrow,she should be wormed."....... Katie Thear... Complete Book of Raising Livestock and Poultry. 115 days after being "serviced" she will give birth.

She will need her own run and farrowing crate,and she will need an increase in food rations during gestation,reduced slightly when feeding the piglets,then back onto maintenance rations after the piglets have been weaned. ....... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:10:01 pm »
Hi
Why will she need a farrowing crate??????

Carole

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:49:35 pm »
My mistake,was still quoting from the book. I don't advocate the use of crates,as I've mentioned in previous posts. Delete "crate" and insert "warm cosy silentnight kingsize bed with memory foam mattress" and if the mood takes ya,"silk sheets and a farrowing rail" ..... Ree     ;D
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Merlin

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:14:41 pm »
Another 'indication' ,although by no means certain ,will be her lack of heat cycles every three weeks or so. Most healthy gilts and sows over 6 months old will settle into a regular heat cycle if they are not pregnant. Common signs are a swollen vulva and a willingness to stand rock solid if you apply pressure to her back...... in some cases you can sit on her and she won't budge!

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:38:35 pm »
Oh Mr Ree,

I am so glad I did think we might have fallen out over this one!!!!
Satin and silk I think.

Carole

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:56:20 pm »
It's quite possible to drive yourself mad waiting for a sow to farrow - best to let nature take its course. Go back to the supplier and ask if they know when the sow was served. If the sow's teats start to swell and form little grapefruit-sized 'breasts', you've got a week or so and it's best to put her in a separate (spacious if possible) pen with a farrowing rail at least, preferably a creep with a heatlamp.

Easier said than done, but try not to worry - pigs are bloody good at all this breeding business.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS