Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Ideal" Smallholding size  (Read 14482 times)

Rich Tapestry

• Joined Nov 2008
"Ideal" Smallholding size
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:58:19 pm »
Hi Everyone
I'm currently self-employed and I'm contemplating rearing some pigs as a second income/hobby initially, then possibly as a full time job. My dad used to keep pigs and I felt it would be a diversion from my otherwise stressful life. I'm planning to do a course in pig keeping, but would welcome any advice from  pig keepers.
In particular, I'd like suggestions for an "ideal" starter herd. My guess is we are probably talking about half a dozen pigs?
Also, I currently have no land, so advice on finding land in Hertfordshire (buy? rent?) would be welcome.

Thanks

Rich

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: "Ideal" Smallholding size
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 05:13:48 pm »
Kate et al will be along soon to suggest a good stocking level for a starter herd....... try this link as a start to finding some land in your area,also local councils etc http://www.rivercottage.net/landshare/ ...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:55:05 pm »
hi rich, this is the first year for us with pigs, think the main problem in uk is cost of good quality pig feed, also reading farmers weekly  the amount of pig farmers in serious financial difficulty, dont get me wrong we love keeping our pigs but I think profit margins may be very tight especially in the current climate. weve just got our tamworth back and the pork is delicious, waiting for old spots so we can compare meat. best of luck neil

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 11:44:56 am »
cost wise you cant compete. with half a dozen pigs you will not make money. We have two saddleback/large black crosses and they have eaten more than you could sell them for. we bought a half pig from our local butcher for about £80, this is slaughtered butchered boned and roled and sausages. i look forward to eating our two but its not going to be economic to expand them next year.

Rich Tapestry

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:20:44 pm »
Thanks for the comments. I agree, I think it would be optimistic for me to expect a profit, particularly when factoring in buying/renting some land. I'd be happy with a small loss to begin with but look forward to hearing comments about an "ideal" smallholding size as a way of increasing my chances of at least breaking even.

My plan is to learn about pigs for a few years with a manageable smallholding and then expand. My motivation would be to obtain the best flavour,distinction and quality of meat whilst providing the best possible living conditions for my animals.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:34:16 pm »
During the time we were able to make our pig enterprise work we ran 10 sows, 1 boar and had roughly 60 followers.  We ran the pigs over about 9 acres of land.  More in the summer when the drought dries up our very large pond. 

We found bacon, sausages, gammon most profitable. 

You will need to buy pig food in bulk and to negotiate the largest reduction possible.  You will have to keep extremely accurate records.  Find the best (not necessarily the cheapest or dearest) butcher you can.  Have a niche market.  Appeal to the high quality end of the market.  Under no circumstances undersell.  It is better to sell the pigs direct to the abattoir at a substantial loss than to market your pork too cheaply.  Once people have bought cheaply from you they will never again pay you a reasonable price.

Be prepared to work 7 days a week, 15 hours a day.  Dont bother buying any decent clothes you will never have the time to wear them. 

Keep a veggie patch going, it can be a godsend when things get very tight. 

Above all you must be passionate about pigs, otherwise you will wake up one day and wish you were back in the office.  And before you embark on this invst in the best waterproof working clothes you can afford and at least 2 sets of really decent wellingtons.

I wouldnt change a thing.  HM

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:25:37 pm »
that are chew proof

Rich Tapestry

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 05:53:20 pm »
I will def purchase the chew proof wellies and some waterproof overalls. To begin with I can only spend a small amount of time with the pigs, and can't afford any land. I'm planning to rent a patch locally. So my guess is I should be getting about an acre or two of land and sitting about 4 pigs on it? Possibly rear those four then replace them when they are "gone"?

When I've learned a bit I can up the amount of time I can devote, buy a larger plot of land and turn my hobby into more of a small business.

Merlin

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 08:23:54 pm »
HM , you've so hit the nail on the head. the grin on my face got wider and wider the more I read your post. It's all so true, especially here in France. Everything you said I can relate to directly with my own experiences over the last 18 months.
JimG

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS