Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Secret talents of a smallholder!  (Read 10900 times)

hairyhetty

Secret talents of a smallholder!
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:06:08 pm »
just thought it would be funny to think about all the skills a smallholder must master, that he/she prob didnt realise at the start of smallholding. i bet theres more than you think ...
how about -
chain-sawing
architectural designer
long-distance haulier and map-reader - finding all those rare breeds!
fencer
first-aider - animals and humans!
etc

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: Secret talents of a smallholder!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:28:15 pm »
Chain sawing - so much so it has made it into my 'Professional' life when a tree needed the chop. My payment - some lovely logs for seasoning til next year!

Pig inseminator - although only a 50% success rate on one of two of my Gilts - a lovely litter of 3 GOS piglets.
Map reader  - absolutely!
Turkey herder - a skill that requires much patience as they ain't the sharpest of poultry.
First aider and animal sickness identifier - More from my own training - the father-in-law was doing some tiling when he went through the small artery running over the top of the thumb.  Blood p***ing everywhere, I was actually catching zzz's on the soafe whilst the better half was out with the bambinos, awoke to a lot of shouting and panicking FIL dripping blood everywhere.  Me, can't find bandages. anywhere.  Best substitute, sanitary towel.  FIL, who is quite 'old school' looks like he'd rather bleed to death than have that thing anywhere near him.  Oh how I laughed...   :D

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 05:28:47 pm »
The ability to mend the thing that has broken/ snapped/ twisted/ sheared/been partially eaten on or no longer does the job with another object (in the "I'll keep that, you never know when that might be useful" heap) that you think might be in the shed and could do the job or do a tempary fix if you hammer / adapt / weld or swear at it otherwise convince it into a use it was never intended for.  :wave:

This is my life in a nutshell.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

hairyhetty

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 06:00:02 pm »
yep, the longer you have a smallholding, the more ingenius you get. the old legstraps, clips and buckles off horse rugs make great fixings for closing homemade gates. a great thing for herding turkeys - a ten year old boy, they can get right under the fir trees to round em up. lol

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:00:29 pm »
The ability to mend the thing that has broken/ snapped/ twisted/ sheared/been partially eaten on or no longer does the job with another object (in the "I'll keep that, you never know when that might be useful" heap) that you think might be in the shed and could do the job or do a tempary fix if you hammer / adapt / weld or swear at it otherwise convince it into a use it was never intended for.

:D :D :D  I love that.  It's so true!

hairyhetty

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 12:56:01 pm »
clearing snow and fixing burst pipes! todays jobs!

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 04:26:03 pm »
Oooh Oooh, I have a five year old turkey hurder too. And I use him to help compress the compost!!
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 05:56:33 pm »
Highly experienced mender of things using cable ties  ;D
Duck herder  ::)
Goat Milker  :D
Chicken Plucker  ;)

...for starters..  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »
The ability to put your car into reverse gear and drive backwards until the vehicle coming towards you has room to pass.
Without this talent your not a true smallholder.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:53:57 pm »
is this saying that we are the kindest people in the world?
or just push overs.
with trailers on the back of our trucks jeeps etc ( our , meaning smallholders in general )
im quite willing to knock it in reverse for a on coming vechicle but NOT when i got a trailer on :D
interesting comment ;)
langdon
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:56:02 pm »
as we are only a year into smallholding and this is the kind of thing that i love to read up on, im
just going to look on and take in all the know hows of a smallholder , so please keep them coming in!
langdon
Langdon ;)

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 09:45:35 am »
The ability to mend the thing that has broken/ snapped/ twisted/ sheared/been partially eaten on or no longer does the job with another object (in the "I'll keep that, you never know when that might be useful" heap) that you think might be in the shed and could do the job or do a tempary fix if you hammer / adapt / weld or swear at it otherwise convince it into a use it was never intended for.  :wave:

This is my life in a nutshell.

Yep that about sums it up. ;D
Electrician, plumber, mechanic, welder, builder, fencer, landscaper, farmer, forester, roofer, carpenter, vet, accountant, master of own destiny, Bodge artist and free spirit 8) 8) 8) 8)

hairyhetty

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 10:18:05 am »
accountancy must be the worst, i feel guilty if im in house during day, then at night im too tired. my paperwork piles are getting taller!

hairyhetty

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 10:24:08 am »
overcoming the fear of chainsaws was a big one, now i think theyre great! still need to be able to sharpen it tho. and need to learn bricklaying to finish our yard wall. the blocks are sooo heavy but odd-job-man is sooo expensive! cant be that difficult can it, will wait til spring tho. a gate (not pretty) i made 5 years ago is still in one piece and still up! wow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 03:18:02 pm »
The ability to put your car into reverse gear and drive backwards until the vehicle coming towards you has room to pass.
Without this talent your not a true smallholder.
That lets me out then!  I don't DO reversing - ANYWHERE! ;) ;D :-[ :-[ :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS