Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Auto pophole openers - again...  (Read 2981 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Auto pophole openers - again...
« on: July 10, 2022, 12:01:32 pm »
Sorry to bring this up yet again, but...

Searching previous threads, I see quite a few recommendations for Chicken Guard, but stipulating the fox proof version and something about wood or metal that I didn't quite follow.  And a few posts that were not as positive about them.

One or two fans of the Omlet ones and quite a few said they were going to try them, so there may be new info on those. 

We all used to rave about the VSB ones but I assume that Brexit means they don't export to here (from Germany) any more? 

And what do people find the best :

• timer for close and open
  • light sensitive for close and open
  • light sensitive for close, timer for open
  • timer for close, light sensitive for open
  • something else (please say what!)

Our chicken run is huge and supposedly fox proof, but we recently had the fox decimate the flock after we had neglected to control overhanging foliage for a few years.  So now, as well as trimming back the encroaching forest, we just want to do belt and braces! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Auto pophole openers - again...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 09:26:23 pm »
Unless you have a reason for not wanting to let them out at first light (e.g. at this time of the year when that's very early), definitely just light sensitive for close and open.

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Auto pophole openers - again...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 08:49:33 am »
Although do make sure bottom ranking hens actually get inside on time, as they can be kept out by bossier birds and miss the slot for getting in before the door shuts. In the dim and distant past when we tried an auto closer this is exactly what happened and we would find the bottom ranking hen standing miserably in the dark in front of a closed pop hole on several occasions. The very fact that we had to keep going out to check she was in made us decide we might as well just go and close the door manually, so we stopped using the auto closer. It's now gathering dust somewhere as we keep pop holes open 24/7 nowadays, but then we don't have fox issues thankfully.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS