Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bagots  (Read 6833 times)

hairyhetty

bagots
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:07:20 pm »
does anyone have experience with bagots goats? are they as wild as im lead to or can they be tamed?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: bagots
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:10:23 pm »
does anyone have experience with bagots goats? are they as wild as im lead to or can they be tamed?

I don't have experience with Bagot goats but I would imagine that if you get them young enough and spend lots of time and give lots of love and attention any animal could be tamed.

hairyhetty

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:21:09 pm »
its hard to find much info on them, i want to support rare breeds and interested in bagots. they have been hunted for 600 years, and all info i find says theyre flighty and nervous. am i going to chasing them around my neighbours farm?? wev had golden guernsey and lairy xbred b4. experience or advice very welcome!

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »
I had a little Bagot - she was my first goat! Yes, they do become tame if kept in small groups. She used to play football with me, using her horns to scoop the ball up. It took a fair while to make her sociable and she was never as tame as a domestic breed but mischievous with a definite spark in her eye. Lovely little goats.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:49:17 pm »
our billy is a Bagot, (registered pedigree) was Very shy when he arrived (almost a year ago) and would skip away as soon as we went into the "compound".

our set up is quite different to where he came from, and he had been stabled with his twin brother so understandably he took some settling in anyway.

He mated with our girls fairly soon, and after a lot of time and patient sitting with hand outstretch, not looking at him... he will come over for a tickle on his nose & cheeks.

He can be abit stroppy, but is too shy to do any damage with his horns - he will shy off rather than be aggressive.
  he consented to having a very slow, gentle brush in the summer - but again, I cant get too close (or work too much on a tangle!)

His son Max was born at the end of July - he is soft as a brush! And Cesar is surprisingly good with him.  they dont exactly interact, but he is calm with him, and Max leaves his Dad alone if he's eating!

As he is small, he is (I think) alot easier to manage being a billy, and his kids should be reasonable easy to deliver.
And the smell is not quite so strong as, say, a huge AN

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:03:31 pm by little blue »
Little Blue

hairyhetty

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:14:43 am »
thats great, restored my confidence as i was having doubts. bagots here we come! x

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 12:54:08 pm »
Any animal is what its owner puts into it.I have take on ferel goats straight from the hills and they tame down well if

a)They are never put in a position where they have to panick for the first few months and
b)You remember that they are prey animals and you are the preditor so expect them to react as such,learn how to speak THEIR body language and don't expect them to learn your human language ;)

Let them relax and start comming to you,pretend to ignore them and be honoured when they put their trust in you.Also don't put them in a fenced area that would only keep a sheep in and complain when they escape,goats will be goats! ;D

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »
is that a real photo?
if so WOW its lush, you should send it into a competition ;)
did you take it?
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 09:25:35 pm »
Yes I took it yesterday :)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:09:34 pm »
Wow, it is an amazing photo.  It looks so magical.  I agree with Langdon, submit to a magazine or competition.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:41 pm »
Any suggestions?I've never thought about it :)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 08:26:47 am »
Thinking about it not sure about magazines, but depending on the subject next year you could submit to the Countryfile calendar competition.  Imagine having that spectacular picture during the depressing month of January.  :)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 01:15:20 pm »
Trouble with Yuppyfile ;) ,it's all about nature not much domestic livestock :)

hairyhetty

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 03:53:06 pm »
just wondering if thats a mule in foto?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »
Yep thats my Malaga in full winter splender! ;D

and this is Picasso now he's acclimatized this year

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS