Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pole Barn Question  (Read 16297 times)

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
Pole Barn Question
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:29:29 pm »
Hi,
We are thinking of putting a pole barn on our land as the cheapest way to get a large area for storage/workshop etc. We would need a 3 bay barn, with one bay for hay storage, but I want to know if it's possible to close off the other two bays into a kind of workshop and tool storage area. As this would need to be used all year round would we be able to put a small woodburner in to stop us freezing and be well insulated? Could anybody tell me what sort of materials I would need for this or if it's even feasible? Could I use straw bales for part of it? If anyone has any better ideas that'd be great too! I know that we would need planning permission but I want to try to cost out the barn before even thinking about that. I also need to get a better idea of what I need before even attempting to check on prices for something like this  :dunce:!
Thanks in advance for any replies,
Susie  :)

robert waddell

Re: Pole Barn Question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:37:32 am »
IF THATS YOUR IDEA GET IT WELL INSURED AFTER BUILDING

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:57:05 am »
wasn't sure what a pole barn was
not sure if this helps

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/construction/projects/build-pole-barns.htm
good luck
manian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:56:15 am »
We've got one 18m x 7m built with telegraph poles with a roof of some kind of corrugated stuff including some opaque glass fibre panels. It's almost all open sided but we're planning to use it for our lambing pens this year and perhaps put a low wall with Yorkshire boarding above next year for cattle housing, if we think we need it.

Think about the orientation - ours runs east to west, so has a lovely south facing roof on which we've just put a 4kw PV array.

I've seen this lot advertise in Country Smallholding www.multiframebuildings.co.uk No idea what they're like but they do roof only, half clad and fully clad options. 6m x 9m x 3m roof only £3272 plus VAT, which you'd be able to claim back. If it's agricultural, you may not need planning permission.

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:54:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies - the steel buildings are loads cheaper than I thought so might go with those. We don't need to go through full planning permission - just need to submit a shortened application and if they don't object within 28 days away we go.  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:22:13 am »
We are putting up a pole barn to be my wool shed.  It's about the same size as the polytunnel - 7m x 14 m and about 4m high.  By agric standards that is tiny - but it looks huge from down here  :o  The poles are telegraph poles, sunk deep and concreted in.  I'm not sure exactly how it will be sealed (needs to be verminproof) but OH seems to have the plans in his head  ;D  Permission was a doddle - a wee man came out and was far more interested in our funny black sheep than the building.  We have been held up by the big freeze when it was far too dangerous to even attempt to proceed but hopefully we will make some more progress soon.
We also have an open-fronted pole barn for storing implements, hay and straw, and firewood - OH put that up by hand, no power tools at all.
We didn't go for steelframed as we don't have access for the big machinery needed to erect them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:37 am »
I have a pole barn about 40m x 12m and it had a lean to standing about 4' higher up a slope with a retaining block wall below - until the lean to roof collapsed under the snow ::)  Insurance finally came to inspect the damage last Thursday and declared it wouldn't be covered due to "faulty design" and the existence of some damp beams in the original building so I had to withdraw the claim in order not to lose the no claims on my buildings policy :(

So watch your "design" if you're not going with a commercial company - mine is constructed of tele poles, all of which are still standing, the original area has asbestos sheets and the lean to was metal sheets but not corrugated, more a slight lift to them, not sure if it's box profile or something else ::)  Those sheets are too bent to reuse and I've only a dozen left so am starting the roof from scratch when I can afford materials ::)

Here I believe we only need to inform council of plans for agri buildings up to a certain size, not planning permission.  But if it was stables it would need full permission process.  Good thing I don't like stables then ;)

I'm thinking of extending the retaining wall to the rest of the original lower barn as there are just cattle gates on at the mo and then possibly yorkshire boarding up the west gable end to improve windbreak but I'm not sure yet, could be one of those things that stays on the to do list a long time ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

gravelly

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:01:20 pm »
I'm just starting on mine but i do these kind of things for other people all the time.  Cheapest is telegraph poles especially if you can follow the pole replacement gang around and pick the poles up for nothing.  For the roof look on ebay for second hand roof trusses.  Cheap as chips from demolished houses.  I would always use corrugated tin.  Anything felt/fibrebased  even asbestos substitute will degrade over time and you will kick yourself.  Watch out for the issue of snow.  Lots of these type buildings have succumbed over the past two years.  Wind is the other issue.  Make sure there are plenty of roof fixxings on the ends especially, if in an exposed site increase the recommended amount per sheet.Hope this helps

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS