Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: For sale: Berkshire x Duroc weaners- notts  (Read 2443 times)

mmm

• Joined May 2010
For sale: Berkshire x Duroc weaners- notts
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:26:13 pm »
I have  5 left for sale. This is the 2nd litter my sow has had. The 1st litter were by the same boar.

The 1st litter were slaughtered at 6 months old and came back at 70-75kg deadweight . Back fat ranged between 14mm-19mm & they were free range. Beautiful tasting meat.
£40 per weaner.

They will be ready from 21st Dec onwards. Im in Nottinghamshire.

Please ring 07973 890021 for more details

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: For sale: Berkshire x Duroc weaners- notts
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:30:34 pm »
we've had berkshires and can deffo recommend their meat.  lovely tasty pork and plenty of it!

pity i'm in scotland or i'd be asking for a couple of them!

mmm

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19:43 am »
Thanks egg lady, totally agree with you :)

Ive also got some pure berkshires which must be around 20 weeks old, they've been having great fun in the snow ( over a foot deep). I think they are one of the best breeds to keep, docile & friendly but VERY tasty.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:14:06 am »
mmm - have you ever used them for ham or bacon?  we've only done pork products previously with them

mmm

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:01:08 pm »
Out of my last batch I cured 2 whole legs. The ham was superb & the gamon was so tender.

At the moment Ive got 5 lots of cured back bacon hanging in muslin in a shed outside. We've eaten the back bacon which I added wholegrain mustard to the cure & it was FANTASTIC. Ive also added rosemary to one piece, as I think it goes well with pork as well as lamb. Its great to try adding different things to the cure.

I do cure quite a lot as it makes a change from pork. I buy the cure from my local butcher. Its really easy to do & you get a lot of satisfacton from doing it yourself

mmm

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 02:07:58 pm »
just bumping this up as still a few available.

All weaned & eating 1kg each per day, lovely & healthy ready to go

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS