Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the trouble with livery yards.....  (Read 23337 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: the trouble with livery yards.....
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 03:01:09 pm »
Yard I was on downsouth, was, ok, if you could overlook the total lack of knowledge the YO had!  There was an indoor and outdoor school but the indoor was too deep to use, the grazing was quite well rotated but the fences and security of gates was hideous.

Hay, she bought a load off the field once, my pal had also bought from the same field, paid £1.20 per bale for it (few yrs ago now) she also paid the same, then charged us £3.50 per bale, it was rank but we were not allowed to buy our own.

Then the yard started getting overcrowded, not with horses, although I have heard it is that way now, but, YO decided she wanted it to become a childrens livery yard, so as horses moved off, another little show/fun/games pony would move on, but what came with the ponies? The child, parents, grandparents, siblings, friends and other extended families!  You couldnt move, there was Yard Politics which we had managed to control but once you got to the stage where you couldnt get to your stable without standing on a child, or tie your horse up outside whilst mucking out in case said horse might move and inch and be deemed dangerous enough to, heaven forbid, kick, then it was getting quite stressful.  Ok, kids should be able to enjoy their ponies but not treat the yard as a playground, whizzing round on bikes etc.

Final straw came for me when I noticed my horse would retreat to the back of his stable when anyone approached, at speed.  Now he is better living out and is doing so now, but, if he saw me coming with his, or indeed, anyone with anyone elses feedbucket, he would tap the metal runner at the bottom of his door with his shoe, annoying I know.  One day, I am approaching, vile little child who was way too cheeky for his own good is stood in the aisle, he picks up a broom, turns it upside down, runs at my horse and starts trying to hit him on the head, as my horse had retreated, he then continued to beat the bars of his monarch stable.  I told him off and he said, 'well thats what my mum does when he does that!'

Cue, me finding private yard, rented with friend for several months before my move up here, we had fun,, we shared chores, ours horses were treated with respect and most interestingly, Odinn stopped banging the door and would stand happily, surveying his yard when stabled!

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »
ponyntrap.....that sounds like a living hell on earth!!!

and I would hate it.

I have edited this post as I was not meaning any offence to anybody, please accept my apologies and I did not mean it to have offended anyone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:28:03 pm by claire »

waterhouse

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 05:42:38 pm »
Good grief, that's appalling.   

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »
Terrible yard. Poor horse. I hope you told as many people as possible about your experience ponyntrap, and how bad the yard is. Glad to read Odinn is doing well.

Here's a kiss for the lad :-*

PS: Not offended claire, I understand internet messages don't always read in the manner written   :)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:43:27 pm by OhLaLa »

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 01:26:40 pm »
sorry sorry!! I'm not meaning it was funny to be there!! please don't take offence.

I am only glad ponyntrap is not there and her horse is safely away from the madness....I am not the most wean orientated person and would die a living death being on a yard like that!!

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »
Odinn is perfectly happy now and doing really well.  Yes I did tell people what had happened and confronted the mother of the child in question.  All sorted now and to be honest, it would take an awful lot for me to now go back to livery, yes they can have their advantages but on the whole, I am better with my boys where they are.

Claire, I was looking at you pics on your posts, do you do HDT??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »
Claire, I was looking at you pics on your posts, do you do HDT??
What's that?  Love horses, but was never able to have one of my own so not in the 'horsey scene'  Excuse my ignorance. ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »
er...whats HDT??

my wee picture beside my name is in 'profile' then 'forum profile information' then 'I will upload my own picture'

the nine box I 'made' in Photobucket and then its 'profile', forum profile information', then 'signature'

left to right, top to bottom are

Abbey, Abbey, Katie
Robbie, Abbey, Abbey
Abbey, Abbey, Smokey and Bugsy

only one of them owning me body and soul but they all share my heart.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »
only one of them owning me body and soul but they all share my heart.

Ah, I love you. Get yourself up here.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 02:38:15 pm »
I'm trying Rosemary!! Abbey particularly wants to come and flirt with Bugsy, he is just her type!!

ponyntrap, blinding flash of the obvious and an ooops!!

Hunter Driving Trials?

ahh, nooo.....I thought it was some computery techno thing asking about my photos which I then tried to explain how to put them on your profile.

I love to drive, ride, play, sit and have coffee and cakes, but only been out in competitions as assistant and groom.
I am totally uncompetitive....except for being the best groom ever.......

Hardfeather

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 12:21:42 pm »
Horse Driving Trials  ;)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 06:18:34 pm »
Yes, Horse Driving Trials!

Spotted the pic of horse in harness, looked like it was trials and thought, ooooooh!  ;D

Thats still on my agenda to start up again, but up here there are very few competitions, but, once my house down south is sold, the a nice shiny trailer with carriage extension is on the shopping list, have horse trailer, will travel!!!!

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:49 pm »
nice shiney horse retired from driving,  his carriage - Bennington competition horse 15.2 to 17ish is up for sale....harness too, thought not sure of sizes for that 'full horse' at least, Robbie is 16.2 and a lot of him!!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:39:34 pm by claire »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS