Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the trouble with livery yards.....  (Read 23339 times)

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
the trouble with livery yards.....
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:15:29 am »
are they all the same at the end of the day? or is it just about finding the best of a bad bunch?

earlier in the year I had a fencing problem, they said Abbey was the only pony getting out the fence(which they won't repair) so I had to go and buy electric fencing....Abbey is barefoot and there were a load of shod prints on the other side of the fence.......ho  hum.

now they are saying they are not ordering in hay, it is up to everybody to get their own and they will not lend their trailer out for collecting it.

my car has not moved for a week due to the weather so I couldn't even collect four bales(I think I could squeeze four bales into it) if I needed to.

I have six bales of hay left which will do the pony about two weeks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: the trouble with livery yards.....
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:28:31 am »
I must have been lucky at Kenneth's. I can honestly say I didn't ahve any major problems when I was there and he was always very helpful - often beyond the call of duty.

Shame on the owners - can't everyone get together and get a big load? Even if they had told you in better time - not when there's snow on the ground.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:31:42 pm »
What terrible service. I hope you pointed out that your pony is unshod and the showed them the shoe prints on other side of fence!

Unfortunately livery yards do exactly what they want and you are held to ransome as you can't exactly pack your bag and go on the spot.

Suggest you do (quietly) look about though for another yard though.

Stand your ground firmly but nicely.

Best wishes.

waterhouse

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:44:37 pm »
Because people kept making unreasonable complaints like wanting hay their horses would eat and a manege less like the sands at Morcambe Bay the yard we usedgave everyone notice to leave.  Said it was too much trouble and was losing money.

It probably was too, but only because nothing was in writing and no-one knew quite what they paid for. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 05:45:54 pm »
Sent you a PM Claire
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:05:15 pm »
having run a livery yard once, we closed it and ploughed up the 100 year old grass for crops.it was more profitable and far less hassle.I do sympathize though as we had a few lovely liveries who were penalized because of the majority of dreadful liveries.

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:25:18 pm »
Our boys are now at home (so we now understand all the hassles of running a yard, buying feed and managing pasture) but we've hired the girl who used to run the livery yard and its working out really well for us but tough on the "good" liveries who have all had to move elsewhere

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 08:43:52 pm »
I know someone said she would not ever get a horse till she had her own place , she was the groom after me at one place I worked 20 years ago. she said she could not put up with anything less than the best(thats as in care wise, not money wise, she doesn't have an arena or anything) she now has her horses at her own wee place.

recently I have begun to understand exactly what she means, because I used to enjoy yards and thought she was mad!!

I go up to see Abbey everyday, sometimes twice depending on my work. I help put out and bring in all the horses. I helped stack all the hay that was delivered, time after time. I fill water buckets, change rugs and help out as I do genuinely like being there around the horses.

the term for my current state of mind is "fair scunnered" and thats the polite version.

and this is one of the best available around here.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:11:45 am »
You need to move up here and put her out with Bugsy, Smokey and Sheba  ;) Real nice yard - owner's a bit of a pain but well intentioned  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 11:18:52 am »
You need to move up here and put her out with Bugsy, Smokey and Sheba  ;) Real nice yard - owner's a bit of a pain but well intentioned  :)
Offer Claire a caravan and a job and she'll be up like a flash - eh, Claire?  ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 12:45:57 pm »
I've already offered to move into Rosemarys caravan but she hasn't replied to my emails..........................lol

the yard owners now have bought some hay of which I got five bales and said they are getting more next week so I can get another five then.
that gives me a couple of weeks to sort out being able to get some hay myself.  I would like to get together with some folks from the yard and order some all together...if I can get them to agree....hopefully.

feeling better anyway.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »
I run a small livery yard, NFU advised us NOT to supply hay to our liveries, also I would say that lending the trailer would also be advised against, would you be able to replace it if you right it off, it is not a cheap piece of equipment. Having said that, if we are ordering hay we do check to see if anyone else needs any at the same time. You can get a good balance in a yard but it does mean both sides being fair and knowing where responsibilites begin and end for both parties.
We have replaced metres and metres of fencing in the last couple of years and I expect electric fence to be put up, horses will always have a sneaky rub or a cheeky nibble over the fence which loosens the fencing, if you are paddock sharing however it can be difficult and I do sympathise as people will always blame each other horses!!
I do hope that the situation improves or that you find somewhere more friendly, I am sure they are about maybe just few and far between!! :horse:

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 04:54:04 pm »
thats what they have done up till now, said they are ordering and we all wrote on a list how many bales we wanted. I don't know why they've changed. maybe the hay is too hard to get. but I put down for ten bales two weeks ago and then to have them suddenly say on wednesday they are not getting it was a bit of a shocker.
but there I was today, helping stack their hay and bringing in horses and changing rugs..... and they picked me up and brought me home. everybody being nice.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 10:06:24 pm »
Offer Claire a caravan and a job and she'll be up like a flash - eh, Claire?  ;) ;D
[/quote]

I wish I could - can't afford her, though  ;D

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 03:21:53 pm »
having run a livery yard once, we closed it and ploughed up the 100 year old grass for crops.

That says it all really.   >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS