Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Battery powered lawnmower  (Read 6377 times)

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Battery powered lawnmower
« on: April 27, 2022, 10:13:25 am »
Does anybody here have one? Can you recommend them?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Battery powered lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 01:22:45 pm »
A friend of mine has a small one from Lidl. Cuts his lawn really well and three times before it needs recharging. But his lawn is only 30m2, so that's not a lot from one charge. Guess their longevity will vary quite a lot between brands, as will the power output so the type/ length of grass they will cope with.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 02:39:50 pm »
I have the WORX strimmer and lawnmower. They do a reasonable job.  Battery power quite good in not too long grass, but cant cope with longer than about 4 inches
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 02:51:45 pm »
Thanks both. We have always had petrol mowers (walk behind for the garden and ride on for the rougher areas) but ours are on their last legs and in the course of researching replacements spoke to a salesman who was singing the praises of battery powered ones.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 07:01:03 pm »
Divide salesman's claims by 10 and you won't go far wrong.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 08:19:31 am »
Agree! We're going to look at some on Saturday. Not 100% sure they will be up to the task of our grass but keeping an open mind.

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 10:33:04 am »
We took the plunge about 2 months ago and bought an EGO.  We got the self propelled 42cm mower as it is for several small areas.  We are absolutely delighted with it.  It is so quiet we don't even need to wear ear defenders.  It is light and manoeuvrable.  It is easy and intuitive to start, comfortable to use and does an excellent cutting job.  The height adjustment is easy (although it's all 4 wheels together - they are not individually adjustable) and the collecting bag is superb.  I don't know what they've done to the chute, but the deck remains clean and the chute has never once blocked up.  The bag fills perfectly and even though I'm lazy and don't empty it enough, I have not once had any overflow or clumps left on the lawn.  I am surprised as I have used it on overlong (did have the mower set high initially) and wet grass and our previous petrol mower would have blocked numerous times in that situation.  It collects debris well, but only on its lower settings.  It does everything we ask it to do, and we do ask it to work hard.  The battery life is very good - I'll try and make a point of noticing how long it does last - but it is possible to upscale the battery.  I hope this helps.   

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 11:56:49 am »
That is fabulous - thank you!

Husband tells me it is an EGO we are going to look at (among others) tomorrow so I'm quite excited now :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:01:32 pm by Richmond »

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 07:51:33 am »
Think we're going for the EGO. Seems to tick all the boxes for us. Earliest we can get one is midweek though but that's fine, it means I don't need to spend today mowing   :)

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 10:27:26 am »
Funnily enough, I bet you will find it hard to hold back when the EGO arrives!  I'm the grass cutter in our house and it was something that was always a bit of a chore.  It still isn't my most fun activity but it is most certainly easier to face now!  I hope you like yours when it comes  :)

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 08:23:40 am »
Funnily enough, I bet you will find it hard to hold back when the EGO arrives!  I'm the grass cutter in our house and it was something that was always a bit of a chore.  It still isn't my most fun activity but it is most certainly easier to face now!  I hope you like yours when it comes  :) .

Thanks FCA - I will report back :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 02:22:25 pm »
Well I just checked the model which would be equivalent to our current petrol driven model... and no I do no have 850 quid to spend on a lawnmower... And the whole thing is made out of plastic!

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 08:22:20 am »
It's pretty durable plastic. Yes it is a lot to spend on a mower but there will be no service costs -necessary for petrol mowers if you want to preserve the warranty. If we bought another petrol mower we calculated that in 5 years we would have spent the same amount of money paying for a yearly service as it cost to buy one, essentially buying it twice! Our mowers get a lot of use and we try and look after them. This new mower will replace our John Deere which is now 26 years old and still working - just. It's been around longer than my children!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 01:24:43 pm »
We've splashed out the ridiculous sum of €150 (delivered) and bought a tiny battery mower to cut the pathways in the veg plot. A nearly all plastic 'kiddies toy' (said one of the reviews) which has a 30cm cut and a maximum area on one charge of 150m2. Einhell is the make. Our friends have one and rate it, even though the on/off switch has broken, there are no spare parts available and so he has to operate it with one handle from a pair of pliers! It's hard work at the moment with our small walk behind petrol mower which, with a 42cm cut is really too big. The veg plot is the only job for it at the moment because the chicken enclosures are out of its range and we didn't want to splash out €50 on a second battery.

We've seen the prices of better quality battery mowers and our budget won't stretch to them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 05:39:12 pm »
My Worx one was about the same price a couple of years ago and I use it for the same purpose. 

Sometimes I need to use the strimmer to chop longish grass first and it was also about that price.  Both use teh same batteries - one for the trimmer and two for the mower.  They both work very well

I just bought a screwdriver (Guild) which uses the same type of battery and it was about £30.

All do exactly what I need them to
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS