Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what do i need to make my own goat feed mix  (Read 10747 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
what do i need to make my own goat feed mix
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:13:50 pm »
am thinking of going down this line in the future, what are the different feeds ( mixes ) do i need?
hope i have made myself clear!!!!!!
thanks langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: what do i need to make my own goat feed mix
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:06:07 pm »
We don't mix our feed ourselves, so I am not the best person to ask. One thing I would advise is to get yourself set up with a few feed bins or containers to keep all the individual ingrediants in.

If I were mixing my own mix, I would probably use soya bean meal to add protein, flaked maize and flaked peas, some oats or barley (not whole, probably crushed or flaked), linseed flake, locust beans. You wouldn't have to use as many as those, but some of those anyway. If you google goat food ingredients you will find different goat feeds and you can look at what their ingredients are. Most feeds are moistened with something- molasses or wheat oil, but I am not sure where you would source thise from, and I think it would make it more difficult to mix.

Beth

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:42:05 am »
You need to work out the nutritional requirements - complicated stuff! David Mackenzie's book - Goat Husbandry will point you in the right direction. That book is a must for goat-keepers -could answer a lot of your questions! ;D

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:25:40 pm »
I believe you have to register the fact that you are mixing your own feed - not sure who with but it is not straight forward.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »
Yes you do.When I had a routine inspection by Animal Health last year they said you have to be registered if you mix your own. (I mentioned this on here before but was shouted down! ::))

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »
thats a book i do have and to be honest its hard work, alot of it goes over my head i just treat it as a pik and mix i
just read bits that i need to know and bits i can understand.
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:37:07 pm »
I think it might vary where you are Katie- not sure if you have to be registered in Scotland or not. I do know you have be registered to mix your own pig feed in Scotland- but you can feed by "layering" ie giving them say, barley, then putting soya on top (but not mixing it). How bizarre is that.

Beth

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 05:54:37 pm »
Ah, yes of course.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:34:12 pm by katie »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »
Sorry if you felt "shouted down" before Katie- I haven't heard much of having to register in Scotland for food mixing, but then I will freely admit we haven't even looked into doing that for many many years.

What breeds are you thinking of getting in the spring?

Beth

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:05:27 pm »
I'm not sure. I may well go for Toggenburgs again - they are so intelligent and loving.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:57:53 pm »
They are affectionate aren't they? People always think saanen types are the most affectionate but I don't agree with that. Of our 3 kids the white one is the least affectionate, and the BT and the AN are much more cuddley.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:39:24 pm »
i have to say both girls with us like the attention  :D
langdon  :goat:
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:32 am »
But I have to say there is not much between GG's and BT's on that front! Only my older GG (herd leader) is somewhat distant, but when I am in the pen is easily handled and enjoys a scratch and cuddle. The BT lady and GG goatling always compete for my attention, getting out of the field is sometimes a challenge!

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 06:11:20 pm »
I think it depends a lot on how they were handled as kids. I had 2 GGs once from a large herd and they were so timid it took me ages and lots of hard work to get them remotely friendly.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 09:10:53 pm »
Yes, I think handling them as kids is the key, and if you have a large herd that is not really possible. Ella, my GG matron, likes being cuddled but I have to make the effort and get to her... unless I "happen" to carry something nice to eat....then she pushes evrybody out of her way!

To get back to Langdon's original query re mixing feeds - I cannot see how that can be financially viable if you only have a few goats... I use A&P's all round goat as basis (not the cheapest!), and supplement with any fruit and veg that is suitable, plus sugarbeet and seaweed extract, sometimes a bit of garlic granules, but they don't really like that. Also hay and haylage.

Why are you trying to mix your own, Langdon????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS