Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: light  (Read 9111 times)

monty

• Joined Jul 2008
light
« on: November 05, 2008, 08:45:51 pm »
hi i put a bulb in my hen hut they go to roost about 5 pm i been putting the bulb on at 8 pm  been told ill get more eggs anyone else do this ?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: light
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:17:36 pm »
not quite. we used to have the light come on just before dark UNTIL about 8pm and the have it come on again at about 6am till it gets light. The main reason we did this is because we had quails in a cage inside the hen house and it did help them lay more eggs. You do need to watch that the birds don't OVERLAY as this drains calcium from their bones and you start getting soft or thin shells
Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:26:02 pm »
Hens need about 14 hours of light to lay. Ideally you want the light to come on at whatever time you need to give 14 hours - so if the sunset is at 4pm, you want the light to come on at 2am. It is preferable for hens to have a natural dusk.

monty

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »
WELL A POULTRY FARMER TOLD ME 17 HOURS FOR MOST EGGS

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:30:05 pm »
Don't shout. 14 hours is my understanding. We don't light our hens - we let them go off lay in winter a bit. There is some iseful information on the Soil Association website - that's where the natural dusk comes from - so thay they naturally go to roost.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:31:16 pm »
The more light you give them the better if you want plenty eggs, but a little less light will ensure they sleep and will  produce healthier birds, but a little less eggs - pay your money take your choice.  I prefer happy healthy birds.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:40:36 pm »
This is from the Soil Association guide

"Artificial lighting will normally be necessary to ensure
continuity of egg production. However, ‘daylight’ should not
exceed 16 hours and should only extend the day in the morning.
The day must end with a natural dusk."

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:07:02 pm »
Don't shout. 14 hours is my understanding. We don't light our hens - we let them go off lay in winter a bit. There is some iseful information on the Soil Association website - that's where the natural dusk comes from - so thay they naturally go to roost.
My friends in Sweden have 40 watt bulbs on and their birds are inside now (a huge area under the house) because of the weather - they were wondering if they should increase that to 60 watt bulbs.  Or should they put in a fluorescent strip?  Does the light strength make any difference?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:22:24 pm »
I don't know - the SA website might be worth a look.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 07:49:59 am »
I suppose to be really technical "natural daylight" bulbs would be the best that is if you can still get them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:01:12 pm »
Can't see anything on SAC website.

monty

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:57:22 pm »
they are laying well now with the light just a pain cos im running it off car batterys uses a battery a night constantly charging ??? ???

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 10:49:16 pm »
Not SAC - Soil Association.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »
Sorry, that's what I meant.  I know SAC is something different.  Maybe I'm not looking in he right place.  It's a very big website

Wellieboots

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 06:13:12 pm »
I gotta query this as as my black rocks are still laying "all guns blazin" and they get let out around 0730 and shut up about 1630..ish. They are totally free ranging over about 2 acres but don't seem to understand the reduction in daylight. They are about 30 weeks old and were late layers so maybe they have a backlog!?

I know that chooks are born with the total amount of eggs they will lay (bit like 'oomans) & hybrids are better layers but this current run seems almost excessive (although we are managing to sell them at work!).

I think there is the current/perceived wisdom and then there is chicken wisdom which at times might just say "wotever, am I bovvered, I'm layingetoverit innit"...as it were to paraphrase modern chicken talk....ahem!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS