Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making bacon!  (Read 27881 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Making bacon!
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2010, 06:59:25 pm »
You mean all those little slices that come off the slicer when you're first trying to figure out how it works and how thinly it will slice? Ate the lot raw, we did!  :yum:

And wasn't it nice that it took so long to get the thickness right...  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »
  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2010, 10:05:24 pm »
 :yum: there's another slab curing in the fridge as we speak  :yum:

I coated it with salt and sugar again on day 3 of curing, and this second coating seems to draw more liquid out and do so much more quickly than the first coating. So we use more salt and yet... the salty taste doesn't get significantly worse.  ???

Hot smoking is to 65C, btw, not 65F as I put it before. :-[ Not that it matters as the bacon has already been cured by the salt. Plus we now cold-smoke it as standard anyway ;)

:love: :pig: :love: :pig: :love: :pig: :love: :pig: :love: :pig: :love:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2010, 10:19:59 pm »
eve, i want to do a ham next.  you got any pearls of wisdom for me on that one please??? :-*

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »
Buy salt in bulk!  ;D ;D

Will it be a cooked ham or air dried ham? For cooked hams, see Hilarysmum's posting a page or so down.  :yum:

For air dried hams, buy a few kilo's of salt - we use ordinary Saxo or Waitrose's own brand. Put a thick coating all over - you need 2 people for that, one to lift the leg up in all sorts of ways whilst the other empties tub after tub of salt all into every nook and cranny. Curing takes 1 day (or more) for each 1/2kg of meat, so easily 2 weeks for a whole leg. If it's still squashy, keep on curing it until firm enough and no more moisture leaches out.
If you put the box that houses the meat at an angle, the juices run into a corner rather than staying underneath the meat - we just put one side of the box on hubby's big boots, they give the perfect angle!  :D

Once it's cured, you rinse off all the salt, pat the whole thing dry, and leave it to air dry. For this actual air drying, there are 2 options:
1) put it in muslin and let it dry for 6+ months somewhere cool, in which case there will be harmless dry mould growing all over it, which stays on there until you scrape some off when you want to eat a bit of ham
2) put pork fat all over the exposed meat (in which case you won't get the mould covering), then pepper on the fat (to keep bugs off) and again in a muslin ('cause a leg covered in cloth is easier to handle than one covered in lard, and we're paranoid).
The fat stops the skin from drying out and hardening - if the skin dries out, the moisture from inside can't escape anymore and the meat will rot inside.
We used whole pepper but I suppose ground pepper would have been more economical.  ::)
As for the muslin / cheese cloth: cheap white cotton pillow cases from the supermarket are the perfect size. ;D
Tie some string around the trotter bit where the meat hook is inserted so that nothing can go inside the pillow case (spiders in the loft!  :o). The meat hook came from our butcher, and the ham was hanging from an old clothing rail.  8)

Last year we used a whole 8kg leg which took a few weeks to cure. We've used smaller pieces of meat since, but we'll try a whole leg again next time. Only, the next whole leg will be without the bone still in there at the top, as we don't have one of those special wooden holders to set it into for easy slicing (as they have in the deli's). After 5 months or so we tasted it, and ended up taking the whole thing apart in large pieces because of the slicing issue, with some eaten straight away and the rest put back to continue drying. The flavour changes between months 5 and 10+.

As for the weight that needs to go on top of the meat to push the juices out during curing, we didn't have enough tins! :D Plus it was the biggest plastic box we could buy but still not quite big enough, so the leg was sitting at an angle and the tins rolled off. So I confiscated hubby's drill, wrapped it in tea towels and lots of cling film, and used that as a weight. Got some funny looks from the Amazon delivery guy  ;)
That whole leg was started last year October and although it tastes really good, it's not really dry despite spending all summer outside... But even though it's not bone dry, it hasn't rotted either, I keep on being amazed at the power of salt!  :o

I'm thinking of putting dried herbs in both the salt cure and the lard next time...

:yum: :pig: :yum:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2010, 05:05:59 pm »
as ever, thanks eve!

so my idea of salting/curing it and having it for xmas dinner might not be terribly practical then!?!?!?!?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2010, 05:09:48 pm »
Christmas 2011 it will be perfect  ;)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2010, 06:28:39 pm »
LOL!

think i will do the big one like that and do the smaller gigot as per your details hilarysmum - might make it for new year?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2010, 08:55:11 am »
A smallish one would definitely be ok for new year if you do it in next couple of days.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2010, 02:54:49 pm »
on the case, its out the freezer and will start it tomorrow -as per your post!!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2010, 09:35:52 pm »
so just let me check i'll be doing the right thing.

the smaller piece (gigot) i am going to immerse in boiled and chilled salt & sugar added water.

how long for?  when will i know it's done?

then once it's done, i will just pop in water, bring to boil, chuck out water and do same agan - this time till it's cooked?

is that all?

(the huge leg wont be defrosted yet so will come back with other questions about that one no doubt!!!)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2010, 09:46:38 pm »
I would just like to say to Eve et al.........................I was flicking through these topics as I hate the Apprentice  ::) and I am GOBSMACKED at it being such a great thread. You guys are so knowledgable and able to give great advice. Nice one!

Seriously, I'm thinking of going out and buying some baby pigs ..................  :D :D

Got the taste for a bacon sarnie by the way too  ;D

ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2010, 01:49:21 pm »
knightquest go for it.

egglady, probably a week certainly no more than 10 days.  Probably a good idea to soak it in clean water for a day before cooking, when cooking test /taste the water when ham comes to the boil, if its salty change water.  Remembner to weigh before brining and write down cooking times etc. so that you can adjust the recipe for the bigger one. 

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2010, 04:14:53 pm »
Thankyou, Knightquest, and you're very welcome!
Pigs are soooo addictive, so we end up wanting to tell everyone about them! I'm sure our friends are really
pleased these forums exists, so that we have another outlet for all our enthusiasm!  ;D

4.8kg of salami went up in the loft last night  :yum:

:wave:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2010, 05:20:14 pm »
ian, this is a brilliant thread.  Eve and Hilarymum have taken me from complete eejit to reasonably confident bacon and ham producer!  Obviously I've stopped off at babbling fool, daft lassie, complete beginner and total moron along the way but the journey (for me at least) has only been possible with the invaluable help and support from these two fan-bloody-tastic people!

i will probably never meet either of them but they have a special place in my Hall of Thanks....... :bouquet: :bouquet:

and ian - get those pigs booked for next year!  i've just come back up from feeding mine and giving them both a wee scratch - there is nothing better!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS