Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bit the bullet and bought 4 ewes in lamb  (Read 3320 times)

waterhouse

Bit the bullet and bought 4 ewes in lamb
« on: November 23, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »
which means we can freeze the boys we bought earlier this year.  Apparently they were running with the ram from mid August which makes them due in January.  Steep learning curve to be climbed by us as they teach us what they're doing!

Is it worth having them scanned?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Bit the bullet and bought 4 ewes in lamb
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:54:22 pm »
I would say yes. It will cost you more than it would someone with a big flock, but I like to know if they are in lamb or not and if they are, whether it's a single or multiple birth we're expecting. The scanner that did ours said she could tell singles from multiples reliably but it was hard to reliably tell twins from triplets, as the third foetus is often hidden. If they aren't in lamb they won't need any additional feeding in springtime.

You should get it done soon as additional feed will be needed from six weeks prior to lambing if there are multiple births.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:59:48 am »
a week/2 weeks to get them scanned for 6 weeks of feed. if its just a hobby ten me personally i would not scan them  if its for business and and a couple of hundred breeding stock then yes scan them but alot of people can spot a pregnant ewe  and if they been in with a tup for that long  there is a high chance of being in lamb (if they played ball) so depending on there history,age, ten only scan if there is any worry them not being in lamb imo.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:53 am »
Cost me £20 for three last year. Worth every penny IMHO

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »
I think we will get them scanned so that we have an idea what's coming and when it is likely to hit!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 07:37:34 pm »
Our vet's doing ours when he comes to dehorn the calves  :)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 10:06:18 pm »
Dont forget the ewes come into season only when the nights get cold, I brought a small flock that had a ram with them before i got them, i know we are in kent but the nights didnt get cold until the 1st week in september so we are not expecting any lambs until the 25th ish of January...famous last words.....
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 11:19:59 am »
Aw - just had to say how cute they are! Remind me of the sheepdog in the Wil-e Coyote cartoons.......

:D

waterhouse

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 07:01:22 pm »
Aw - just had to say how cute they are! Remind me of the sheepdog in the Wil-e Coyote cartoons.......

:D
Or Dougal from the Magic Roundabout.  I thought they'd have legs....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS