Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where can i buy a humane dispatcher?  (Read 24071 times)

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: Where can i buy a humane dispatcher?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 01:02:02 pm »
Here's what the Human Slaughter Association has to say: http://www.hsa.org.uk/Publications/General%20Publications.html

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 02:16:03 pm »
The only acceptable way on farm without resort to expensive abatoir type equipment is by neck dislocation. This is best achieved by the broomstick method or similar, which is quick, easy to do and causes the least suffering. Also if you're holding the bird while it's killed you know that the neck has been dislocated properly and death has occured.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 04:15:59 pm »
The Humane Slaughter Association do NOT recommend anything that crushes the spine, which is what the hand held + wall mounted do.

The Ascott wall-mounted Humane Dispatcher does not crush the spine, it dislocates it, exactly as you would if you dislocated the neck by hand.  The inner nubbit pushes in between two vertebrae and pushes them apart = dislocation.

Provided it is used correctly, therefore, it is consistent with the guidance given.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:19:11 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 05:28:18 pm »
But only if you get it in the right place, Sal, I've tried one! I use a stunner, best investement I've made :chook:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 06:03:47 pm »
But only if you get it in the right place, Sal, I've tried one! I use a stunner, best investement I've made :chook:

Oh!  Did you already post a link for your stunner? 

And have you had a look at my link to the Ascott one - that is the right type, isn't it?  The documentation that came with mine (bought about 10 years ago) did explain all about how it works by dislocation, and I've not had any reason to think otherwise - no neck bones have ever been crushed in the choox I've dispatched with it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 07:46:10 pm »
We use a game dispatcher for smaller chickens.  It works well but no good for big cockerels or decent sized meat birds.  We pop the birds on the ground between our legs and squat over, stroke them and soothe them etc then use the dispatcher. Never an easy job to do but we find this process just calmer.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 07:57:57 pm »
Humane my ar**  you have to be kidding. Illegal in Wales.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 08:20:18 pm »
The cheapest way is to use a cone. You can do your part to decrease the size of the European 'cone mountain' by liberating one for the side of the road or buy one from Jewson (I did actually buy mine for schooling horses ???). Cut the foot off the cone and fix it to the wall, cut the head hole the right size and off you go. I take the birds out of the shed one at a time then take them to a darkened out building drop them in the cone and cut the neck. The brain is immediately starved of blood and the bird is dead, no flapping, job done. I used to use the broom handle or in my case a cart wheel spoke but found it difficult doing ducks and generally a nasty experience. I have a need to get it right first time and don't want to experiment with various neck wringing techniques. I can't bare to think of the failed attempts until the method is perfected.

I've often wondered how to kill duck. This sounds good. I work on a shoot and absolutely dread the dogs coming back with a duck that is a runner (ie not completely dead). I find it so difficult to break the necks well.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »
Ha ha :innocent:

I read human dispatcher. There are a few I would like to dispatch, but I think it's illegal.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 11:05:03 pm »
Would an air pistol to the head be suitable for an instant kill?
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 08:35:46 am »
If you get in touch with DEFRA they will send you a free booklet on the humane slaughter of poultry.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 11:43:37 pm »
I find shooting them in the back of the head with an air pistol, just about between the eyes and the ears works as a stunner if not outright kill. First one I did, I dissected the head to check I'd got the right spot and found the pellet had gone right through the brain. I follow this by cutting the throat and allowing them to bleed out, but I imagine breaking the neck and bleeding into the gap would be equally as effective and a lot less messy!

Stunning, even if only with a short plank or hammer, is essential before slitting their throats: the brain stays active for a significant time after.  I used to decapitate birds, which is ultimately the same thing, but it is VERY unpleasant holding a bodiless head and feeling it moving eyes and beak in your hand!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 06:47:18 am »
"Humane my ar**  you have to be kidding. Illegal in Wales".
[/size]
[/size]Sorry - getting confused..... what's illegal in Wales???
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS