Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where can i buy a humane dispatcher?  (Read 24072 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Where can i buy a humane dispatcher?
« on: November 23, 2010, 07:08:13 pm »
Like the heading says i am looking for a hand held humane chicken dispatcher, i have seen wall mounted ones on ebay but was put off by the ridiculous price tag, not that i am opposed to buying one if thats what it costs, but there must be something cheaper if i am only doing a couple of birds or so every six months?

thanks

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Where can i buy a humane dispatcher?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 07:23:10 pm »
Little Blue

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:34:29 pm »
Hi - I bought mine from Ascott  and its only a few pounds dearer than the one little blue bought. 

Its a good strong thing, and I feel confident when using it, even on the larger cockerels.  I chose it after reading the Humane Societies thoughts about the various methods of dispatching birds.

Since getting it when I have used it I first give the bird a sharp blow on the back of the head with a short piece of  2" x 2" which knocks them out, and then I use the dispatcher, and leave the mechanism closed for a couple of minutes so I know there is no chance of any mistakes.  I assume if I was knocked unconcious myself I wouldn't suffer when anything else happened afterwards.

All the best
Sue

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:14:47 pm »
Sue, when you "stun" the bird... do you just creep up behind them?!
or how do you actually go about it?
Little Blue

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »
I am such a coward and can't kill anything. I have given all my birds away for the time being, mainly to avoid killing the many cockerels  that were hatched this year. i shall try again in the spring!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »
Sue, when you "stun" the bird... do you just creep up behind them?!
or how do you actually go about it?

I just pick them up as normal, and whilst I have them in the crook of my arm I find they are generally looking around, and a quick bash does the job.  Not nice, but it seems quick and I have found knocks them unconscious then I use the dispatcher. 

I think in general we are far more aware, and do more "thinking" about stuff.  Animals/birds react to the situation, so if you want to catch a sheep to check if it has flystrike it doesn't seem much worse than catching it a zapping it with a humane stunner.

As I say I don't like doing it, but without me the foxes, rats, buzzards, etc etc would have finished them off long before.

Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »
I am such a coward and can't kill anything. I have given all my birds away for the time being, mainly to avoid killing the many cockerels  that were hatched this year. i shall try again in the spring!
That's why I don't try to hatch any chickens!  Drakes don't make much noise and so far I think I have only one out of the three.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:57:14 am »
The Humane Slaughter Association do NOT recommend anything that crushes the spine, which is what the hand held + wall mounted do.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:27 am »
The cheapest way is to use a cone. You can do your part to decrease the size of the European 'cone mountain' by liberating one for the side of the road or buy one from Jewson (I did actually buy mine for schooling horses ???). Cut the foot off the cone and fix it to the wall, cut the head hole the right size and off you go. I take the birds out of the shed one at a time then take them to a darkened out building drop them in the cone and cut the neck. The brain is immediately starved of blood and the bird is dead, no flapping, job done. I used to use the broom handle or in my case a cart wheel spoke but found it difficult doing ducks and generally a nasty experience. I have a need to get it right first time and don't want to experiment with various neck wringing techniques. I can't bare to think of the failed attempts until the method is perfected.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 08:08:19 am »
But what do they recommend? I've used the broomstick method and last time the birds head slipped under and I know it suffered briefly which is upsetting for all. I'd thought to get one of these too.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 10:12:56 am »
The reccomended method is either neck dislocation or an electric stunner followed by cutting the carotid arteries.
The so-called humane dispatchers that crush the neck aren't humane at all.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 05:19:12 pm »
The cheapest way is to use a cone. You can do your part to decrease the size of the European 'cone mountain' by liberating one for the side of the road or buy one from Jewson (I did actually buy mine for schooling horses ???). Cut the foot off the cone and fix it to the wall, cut the head hole the right size and off you go. I take the birds out of the shed one at a time then take them to a darkened out building drop them in the cone and cut the neck. The brain is immediately starved of blood and the bird is dead, no flapping, job done. I used to use the broom handle or in my case a cart wheel spoke but found it difficult doing ducks and generally a nasty experience. I have a need to get it right first time and don't want to experiment with various neck wringing techniques. I can't bare to think of the failed attempts until the method is perfected.

Bleeding without stunning is inhumane. It's not flapping because it can't.

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:10:13 pm »
SO - how is the best way to dispatch a bird Quickly with no mess/blood etc (i found the broomstick a horrible way, I'm not strong but managed to pull the head off and I'm sure she suffered)  and above all Humanely.
You are never to old to learn something new

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »
That's the question isn't it. If you should stun what sort is cheap and efficient? Don't want to spend hundreds for the odd few birds..

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 10:22:56 am »
you can't stun them with an lecky stunner because you need to hold a poultry slaughters licence to use that equipment. and to be honest it scares me holding a bird wilst running enough power through them to stun them its sure to go wrong if i was to use it.

whatever method apart from destroying the brain they are going to feel pain. face it you not being nice to them. the object is to reduce the pain to a minimum. a program from tazmania showed them using a cone and whilst pulling the head down cutting it off with a knife. it looked quick.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS