Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gardening for Bumble Bees in the UK  (Read 24113 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Gardening for Bumble Bees in the UK
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2022, 08:13:52 pm »
They're common but last week I spotted for the first time a very beautiful little bee ...... a tawny mining bee.

I'm making an effort this year to look more closely and try and identify the different species of bee.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2022, 09:45:48 pm »
Brilliant [member=24384]in the hills[/member]  8)

I'm a bit disappointed that my idea of noting all the bees and all the flowers they are on and when they are around has fallen by the wayside.  I do understand though that lambing time isn't the best time for people to be able to look around them.  But if having this thread has encouraged you to think more about our native bees and to learn to identify some, as it has me, then I'm delighted  :sunshine: :bee: :bee: :bee: :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2022, 01:59:07 pm »
I hadn't had a full walk round yet, but this morning, lots of buzzing,, pink lamium had carder bee on, over the lane the yellow lamium had something buzzing but I couldn't see it, a few late flowering currant flowers had a very noisy bee, only had a glimpse though, I think one must have been looking for a nest, because it disappeared under the undergrowth, looked mainly black, narrow orange band at front and one near rear, but difficult to see properly.
Lovely to hear all that buzzing though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS