Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gardening for Bumble Bees in the UK  (Read 24110 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Gardening for Bumble Bees in the UK
« on: December 27, 2021, 06:07:43 pm »
People tend to think of Honey Bees when they hear of gardening with wildlife in mind. However, honey bees of the hive variety are not native to the UK, whereas we have 26 varieties of Bumble Bees which are true natives.  As I understand it, bumble bees are far more efficient at pollination than honey bees; you need a whole hive of honey bees to do the same work as a normal local bumble bee population. There are flowers which have evolved in concert with certain bee species so the flower shape is specific to that species and cannot be pollinated by honey bees or many other bumble bees.

A couple of years back [member=13]Rosemary[/member] asked me to write a list of flowers for bees.  I couldn't do it then and actually I couldn't do it now.  I know which flowers Bumble Bees like in my garden, but I couldn't say which bees like what in other gardens and other parts of the country.

So I was wondering if other nature lovers on TAS would like to join me in finding out the answer?  I think if we note which bees are numerous on which flowers in each month of 2022, we could put together a valuable resource for the UK.  It's bumble bees which need the most support to keep their numbers up, and we as small farmers and gardeners who have an excellent opportunity to collect some data.  I don't expect more information about bee varieties, just big furry stripey bumble bee, or small ginger bee, or whatever, will do.  I don't know the 26 bee species apart, or even more than a handful.

So starting for January 2022, I know there will be no bees of any type in my garden - it's too cold and they are hibernating. We could though note which flowers are out and if anyone further south has bees flying.

Any helpers?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Gardening for Bumble Bees in the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 07:36:17 pm »
Good idea FW, count me in.
I read a lot about flowers for wildlife, and try to choose plants for bees and pollinators.  I do notice Cotoneaster horizontalis is covered in the little beauties,  mainly carder bees and a small 'proper' bumbly, as well as honey bees from across our little valley.
I will try and take note through the seasons, as it's the earliest flowering plants that they are in most need of, I grow willow, (just been double checking, its the willow pollen they are after, to supply food for the grubs, didnt realise that)
I love to see our bumblies  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 07:50:59 pm »
I'll help :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 12:13:51 am »
Oh goody - that's us started then  :thumbsup:   :bee: :bee: :bee:

I'm expecting a new book to arrive tomorrow, same name as this thread, by Dave Goulson. I hope it's helpful.

Cotoneaster is wonderful for bees, I agree [member=22672]Penninehillbilly[/member] .  I used to think it was a really boring plant until I was standing next to one one day and heard the happy humming  :bee: :bee:  then saw the surface moving with busy bees
Willow is wonderful for the first bumble queens emerging and setting up their nests. They have to do all the work on the first one on their own so need an energy burst and food for their first grubs.  After that, all they have to do is lay eggs. There are lots of different willows which flower in succession so provide pollen over a long while (and hayfever)
Ivy is supposed to be excellent as a winter flower for all insects.  I must go and see what's on mine - we have a huge, dense ivy growing over the end of our barn, which is wonderful for everything, nesting birds, hibernating amphibians, hunting stoats, insects and bees, flies and wasps, small children playing hide and seek, and even once a nesting hen  :hughen: (the stoat and the hen didn't get on and it ended badly for the hen  :( )

[member=13]Rosemary[/member], I hope Dan is better after his booster, if so, could you persuade him to give us some flower icons please, for this thread ?

So, for early bees we are told to grow snowdrops, crocus and aconites, what else? Cyclamen? Is Grape Hyacinth any good?  I can't remember when it comes out. Pulmonaria is good too and fairly early. Our bees never appear in January here, but I always have some early flowers just in case.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 11:22:48 am »
I bought this cheap and simple identification guide last year:

https://www.field-studies-council.org/shop/publications/bees-identification-guide/

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 11:29:05 am »
The Dave Goulson book is great, I have read it (from the library) and it is on my wish list. (Actually all of his books are really good reads!)

On a walk recently (sometime in November) we noticed loads of insects (some late wasps, a few honey bees and lots of other flies etc) on flowering Ivy, which was covering a hedge and south facing. So defintiely one to encourage.

Fruit trees are good too, but I often find that it is too cold for honey bees, though the bumbles are often out.

I find hawthorn is usually talked about for honey bees, but again don't see them on it often, bumbles more likely. Same for rosebay willowherb.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 01:07:36 pm »
The three most popular for bumble bees in our garden are Hot Lips Sage, Borage and Lavender. The HLS is still flowering, despite the frosts, but it's now too cold for the bees.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 11:55:25 am »
The three most popular for bumble bees in our garden are Hot Lips Sage, Borage and Lavender. The HLS is still flowering, despite the frosts, but it's now too cold for the bees.
I was forgetting our comfrey, trouble is, the bees love it so much, I can't bring myself to cut it down to use it  :roflanim: .
Someone has suggested just taking the leaves off instead of cutting stems, so ill try that next year.
I think the difference is long or short tongue bumblies, so it's going to be interesting taking note which flowers different bees go for.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 12:49:01 pm »
I'm the same with comfrey PHB.  The trick is to cut one third at a time, leaving the rest to flower, then cut another third back.  Then later the final third, by which time the first lot is flowering again, if you get your timings right. Keep doing that throughout the season and you will always have flowers for the bees.   I love the humming sounds coming from a comfrey patch in summer but I also love all the other uses for comfrey.

chrismahon, is Hot Lips Sage bright red?  I have loads of ordinary sages and they are very beloved by all bees, and most are long lasting.  I love the name of your HLS.  I bought a new rose last year called Tottering-by-Gently - it's a lovely single pale yellow, popular with the bees, but I got it purely for the name  :D
Actually I think most herbs are favourites with bees.  Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Chives, Monarda, Mint, even Parsley when it flowers and looks like Dill and Fennel - hoverflies love them too.
Another group popular with bees is all the early flowering Alpines and Rock garden plants, which seem to flower just when the bees need them most.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 05:48:32 pm »
We have loads of comfrey because Dan sells root and crown cuttings, plus we use it a lot too. WE do as Fleecewife suggests and cut it rotationally, so there's always plenty for the bees.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 05:51:35 pm »
Cardoons - bumbles absolutely love to crawl through their big thistle-like flowers.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 10:05:56 pm »
Cardoons - bumbles absolutely love to crawl through their big thistle-like flowers.

I've never tried to grow cardoons and had no success with globe artichokes either.  I wonder if cardoons would grow up here  :thinking:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 07:29:02 am »
Hot Lips Sage has white flowers with a red tip [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] and it soon takes over wherever it is planted, so has to be pruned back hard every year. Borage is really invasive and plants shoot up all over the veggie plot.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 07:49:37 am »
This is what I grow around my apple trees for the bees. I know it as purple tansy as well as lacy phacelia.

I have never seen a plant covered in so many different bees and insects than this one - I collect seeds and give them out to many people on our allotments.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/lacy-phacelia/lacy-phacelia-growing.htm
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 08:57:04 am »
Just a thought that crossed my mind..

We are not allowed beehives etc on site because of the risk of stinging etc.

But If I take specific actions to encourage or increase the bee population couldn't I leave myself open to the same risk?

I know its not cultivating bees but at the same time a bee sting is a bee sting isn't it?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS