Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Salt!  (Read 6284 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
Salt!
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:28:25 pm »
Hi everybody

I've found a recipe for making a gammon but i have no idea what curing salt is or where to get it from, could i just use something like cooking, table,sea or rock salt

Cheers Rob
Rob & Manda :)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Salt!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:53:26 pm »
Curing salt has nitrate / nitrite in it, which is to prevent botulism. You shouldn't need it for gammon, though, I take it you'll be cooking it anyway and your kitchen is clean?

You'll see nitrate and nitrite mentioned in books a lot as the writer wants to protect himself from any claims, but the chance of botulism in really really tiny (but it's potentially fatal). Google botulism and you can then make up your mind. We don't use it, but some wouldn't dare not to.

Enjoy the gammon!

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:27:07 pm »
Thanks for that i see why everyone is trying to cover their backs,

The gammon will be cooked and the kitchen is clean so it should be fine that way. I read somewhere that you shouldnt use table salt due to it having something in it to stop it sticking together ive no idea if this is true. Does anyone use ordinary salt to cure gammon/ ham?

Rob
Rob & Manda :)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:32:31 pm »
Yes, salt (except the expensive ones) have anti-caking agents in them, makes it flow nicely out of the dispenser.
Don't know if that would actually pose a problem, though.

We use fine sea salt for most curing as apparently it travels into the meat more easily than coarse salt (plus the other salts can end up making a very expensive air dried ham or bacon). I still haven't got 'round to buying a few kilo's of kosher salt, that's supposed to penetrate the meat better than any other. We used some expensive fleur de sel as well for bacon last time, though I'm not sure there was a difference in taste.  :-\

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:54:27 pm »
My view is thus: when you're making a big tub of curing brine or salt rub, use whatever bulk salt is copious and cheap for you. Perhaps with a bit of nitrite/trate as appropriate. No point buying fleur de sel for 5 gallons of brine in my book... 
 :o 8)
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 06:57:44 pm »
No point buying fleur de sel for 5 gallons of brine in my book

Oh good lord, no! The fleur de sel went on some bacon and even though by itself fleur de sel does taste better than ordinary salt (being less harsh), it probably isn't worth it on anything you cook or fry unless you have a really good palate. Now if you're having lovely bread with butter and put some salt for dipping on the table, that's another matter...   :yum:

The only thing I wouldn't use is the really cheap stuff, the chemical nonsense, but then I'm a not-keen-on-chemicals kind of person, just the idea of liquid smoke makes me shiver...  yuck!

I used to be a vegetarian. Now I start salivating when just looking at the salami's in our loft!  ;D

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:52:42 pm »
I used to be a vegetarian. Now I start salivating when just looking at the salami's in our loft! 
;D  ;D  ;D
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:25 am »
 :D  :D  :D well all this post answered my question, but I do love the last post by eve

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 06:12:23 pm »
Thanks - you should have seen our butcher's face when he first heard it!  ;D ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:23:47 pm »
I used to be a vegetarian. Now I start salivating when just looking at the salami's in our loft!  ;D

I have a friend who tells people she's a vegetarian but eats bacon.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:17:50 pm »
i have a Jewish friend who loves bacon sandwiches  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 04:30:15 pm »
Saltpetre (potassium nitrate) also tends to give a pinker ham/gammon

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:15:38 pm »
Well I've just taken my first ever home-cured leg out of its briny bath.  I didn't have any saltpetre at the time, so BH was briefed on the symptoms of botulism and what to do if I started to exhibit any of them!  48 hours on I seem to only be as loopy as usual so he's getting some for his tea tonight.

Yes it's not pink but boy is it tasty!   :yum: :yum: :yum: 

I've boiled it and had some in a sandwich so far (it so didn't need anything to go with it - a bit of lettuce maybe but no need for mustard, chutney, tomato, mayonnaise or anything like that.)  For supper I'm going to bake some a la Delia  :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS