Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chain harrow  (Read 7879 times)

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
chain harrow
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:01:37 pm »
just  thinking how much would a chain harrow weigh? im thinking of breaking my pony in soon and would like to when sorted, to pull the harrow if possible . i  can pull it myself but will it be to much for her il get the size of it but its just a bar and drag style no lift or frame or anything. cheers matty

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Re: chain harrow
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »
I've got a 4ft chain harrow which weighs about 25kg. I can lift it but it's not that easy as it flops about. Then there is a bar which attaches to the front which probably weighs another 5 kg. I've used a piece of 3 inch angle iron to make a drag bar which goes on the back of the chain and helps it create a level surface. This weighs about 7 kg. So altogether, 25 + 5 + 7 = 37 kg or about 80 lb.

I hope that gives you an idea of what to expect. You can get wider and heavier chain harrows but the 4 foot size can be used in multiples, either one behind the other or side by side so it is a 'standard' size for the smallholder.

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:10:09 pm »
If YOU can pull it, so can your horse. She's much stronger than you.

SussexRanger

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »
Your horse even a small pony will be far stronger at pulling things so if you can link her up to it safely (dont know how you would as not a horse person) i think it would be great! After all horses/ponys were bred for work/pulling carts etc.

My dream - A smallholding!

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:58:38 pm »
YOur pony would easily be able to pull a trap and you and another adult, where I work we do driving for disabled so that involves an 11.2 pony, trap, me, and a person in a wheelchair that usually has feeding equipment etc.  If that pony, one of the two we use is 26 years old, can pull that then your pony can easily pull a harrow.

Am looking for a harrow for my Odinn to pull, am quite jealous you have one, he needs to be doing something when not driving or being ridden!  :)

Anyone have one going cheap???

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:04:36 pm »
Sorry, I took your question too literally.

The chain links include spikes which can by pulled so that they fold up. Or the harrow can be pulled the other way when they point down and dig into the land increasing the drag.

Alternatively you can turn the chain over so that the spikes point up (to the sky) and the smooth side of the chain runs over the ground.

I am not particularly strong but can pull my 4 foot chain harrow fairly easily unless the spikes are pointing down and digging into the land. So I don't think your pony would have any difficulty.

I got my chain harrow from the same place I bought my tractor, see:-

http://ww.bsgtractorsandmachinery.co.uk/epages/es109747.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es109747_shop/Products/%22558%20%201.8m%20%286%27%29%20Chain%20Harrow%22

where a 1.2m harrow (= 4 foot) is currently listed at £178 plus VAT.

I use it to help level soil which has been loosened with a disc harrow and to knock back weeds. So I would use it on hay meadows to reduce the weed population.

I have to say, it is not an aggressive implement, particularly if used smooth side down. But it does a job.
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »
Everyone who has pasture needs a chain harrow to pull the thatch out of the grass.  Mine is 6' wide and I can't lift it: I would have thought over 100kg but I can drag it short distances and it doesn't make a scary noise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS