Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foals/youngsters kept with sheep?  (Read 7013 times)

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
Foals/youngsters kept with sheep?
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:33:17 pm »
Hello everyone...I'm wanting to pose another question :D
If I got a foal or a youngster, would sheep be enough company for it when not with me? Obviously evenings on weekdays would be with me and most of the weekend would be spent with me. We have land behind my house that we can keep it on, so just wondering if sheep would be okay?
Many thanks, looking forward to your replies :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Foals/youngsters kept with sheep?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:58:01 pm »
I don't think it's enough. Our sheep used to run in a field with a single horse (not mine). The horse was desperate to play, but the sheep obviously didn't understand the behaviour and ran away. The horse had noone to groom with or hang out with. It was really sad.

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:59:19 pm »
Okay, thankyou very much :)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »
youngsters do need to do the foal play, youngster play thing, it is all part of growing up. i have never had sheep so cant comment on if they would be good company, but i personally think horse company would be better

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »
You'd need another horse/pony with the foal as the older ones teach the foal how to be a horse - you know all the body language etc

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:08:07 pm »
Okay thanks makes sense! Wanted to check with everyone

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:15:46 pm »
what about a donkey? :)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »
same applies i think, they need there own especially as a baby

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 08:31:31 pm »
I totally agree.
I will probably consider getting a rescue companion :)

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 10:51:21 pm »
Tricky thing is that with two horses you can't take one out without the other getting panicky.  We just got a companion for Jasper (26) so Tom (15) can come out to play.  Then it becomes harder to move three horses around with only two hands...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:31:40 am »
As a breeder I'd say definitely not to a sale of a youngster going to a home with only sheep for company.  They're herd animals and youngsters need teaching manners by older horses or they start "playing" with the sheep and then also with the people - not nice all round..

Two brings its own problems as the pair bond becomes so strong in some cases that they become inseparable so if you get a companion make sure it has been used to living in an environment where it is regularly left with sheep and the other horse removed, or you'll never be able to go anywhere without the abandoned one going ballistic.

3-4 is ideal - but not everyone can manage that on their own hence why livery yards are there for the single horse/pony owner..

Good luck and if you're looking for a Highland youngster (or 2/3) come and visit ;) as I've just heard I'm losing 2/3 of my grazing at the end of the year :o
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 09:02:42 am »
I have seen goats make good horsey companions - but I'm on the farmy side, rather than the horsey side, so I'm not very good on the behavioural science bits of horses ;)

Hardfeather

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:34:01 am »
I'm afraid I wouldn't keep goats with horses. It's not uncommon for goats to leap onto the backs of horses, and they can be prone to chew tails and manes. I think it's most unfair to a horse to expect it to suffer such treatment.

It is possible to keep two horses and train them both to accept the absence of the other. It requires some thought and not a little time but, by taking each away from the other for gradually increasing periods of time, each can learn that the other will come back.

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 05:01:15 pm »
Thanks everyone for your imput!
I think for next year, I will just get the one and go for the more expensive option of a livery yard probably!!

divanp75

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Caithness
    • Scotshaven
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 04:09:46 pm »
I have used a billy goat to keep my stallion company over the winter months one year.  they were in stables next to each other.  The stallion actually really liked the billy,  they were best buddies :) Could even turn them out in a field together.

I am currently working with two foals one weaned about a month ago and the other about a week.  I am lucky and have a spare gelding as a field companon.  The older of the foals remained inside with the goats for company for two weeks while he was haltered and had some basic training (I have a gated system).  The goats encouraged the foal to eat hay and feed times were the same so he copied what they did.  He is now in at night with goats and out in day with gelding.  I feel this resolves some of the separation issues that you can get with ponies not wanting to leave there field friend. 

The younger foal came in a week ago and is in the barn 24/7 with goats, but has the other foal to talk to at night when he comes in. When it is time for the younger foal to come out I put the older one in a field on his own some of the time (he can still see the others) and leave the younger one in the day with the gelding and night inside with goats.  Then just move them about so they are used to all combinations.

Having another pony to talk and train the foal is really important,  the gelding sorts out any issues that come up so that the foal is that much more submissive when I have to deal with him/her :D

Hope this helps you a little :D  or maybe you think I am talking rubbish  ;D   but it is working for me :D
Diane

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS