Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What breeds to you have?  (Read 23139 times)

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
Re: What breeds to you have?
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2010, 09:41:19 pm »
I have a small Highland pony stud - currently 17 of them  :o so have stopped breeding for a while til the youngstock are sold and am missing the foals but winter hay bills and 17 x farrier, wormer and vaccination bills at a time is not something I want to increase on right now!  I did have 20 at the start of the year so am moving in the right direction and one more is spoken for just waiting for the money to come through, but I think 8 would be a good number to aim for ;)

I know a couple of folk who use Highlands for forestry work and others who use them for gathering sheep or other working roles but mine are just breeding stock as I've not had the health and fitness to ride for a couple of years now.  I do think about driving and/or forestry/farmwork with them at some point but not where I am right now..

Hi ellied - only just realized this is you  ;D  How is Dancer doing ?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2010, 04:17:36 pm »
Hi Jane, I guessed janeislay was you even before I saw the photos ;)

I just moved the girls to new grass this afternoon so Dancer is very happy at the mo thanks :)  Fingers crossed there's no sign of her problems returning so far and she looks pretty much as a Highland mare should for the time of year, but I won't be completely happy until she's maintaining weight on hay (and feeds if need be) without symptoms..  :hshoe:

Thanks for asking - and Sparks is looking better and better too as she matures too :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2010, 11:39:53 am »
Hi Jane, I guessed janeislay was you even before I saw the photos ;)

I just moved the girls to new grass this afternoon so Dancer is very happy at the mo thanks :)  Fingers crossed there's no sign of her problems returning so far and she looks pretty much as a Highland mare should for the time of year, but I won't be completely happy until she's maintaining weight on hay (and feeds if need be) without symptoms..  :hshoe:

Thanks for asking - and Sparks is looking better and better too as she matures too :)

I loved your last photo of Sparky; bet she looks as good as River by the time she's a 3yo.  Sorry to hear about your horrendous firework incident.  Any news of you finding a new place ?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »
Nope, sadly now I don't have a day job with a regular salary I can't get a domestic mortgage so am a bit stuck as I can't sell this place and rent for myself and 24 misc animals until I find somewhere that costs less than my equity  ???  Several folk said they were interested in this place but whether they'll be still looking by the time I find somewhere I don't know.  I could sell the 10 acre holding and keep the lease on the hill which would accommodate most of the ponies bar entires and Islay, but cats, stallion and her houdini-ness aren't quite so easy  :-\

I am probably here til spring but am looking for land to buy where I might be able to get a section 75 house at some point and at least a caravan if not a log cabin meantime ;)  And building up a few skills and some more experience while I wait  ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2010, 03:53:05 pm »
Nope, sadly now I don't have a day job with a regular salary I can't get a domestic mortgage so am a bit stuck as I can't sell this place and rent for myself and 24 misc animals until I find somewhere that costs less than my equity  ??? 

Oh dear, Ellie  :(  I do hope something comes up for you.

divanp75

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Caithness
    • Scotshaven
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2010, 04:18:54 pm »
Just Fells Here :D  www.scotshaven.com

ballo1000

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2010, 11:30:48 am »
Hi, new to the forum and stummbled across this thread. We have 1 shire, 1 Clydesdale, 2 Newforests, 1 miniture shetland and a mule.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2010, 01:20:54 pm »
Only ONE mule!? :o ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS