Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has anyone exported pigs to Northern Ireland ?  (Read 2381 times)

HappyHippy

Has anyone exported pigs to Northern Ireland ?
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:51:42 pm »
Has anyone done this ?
I've been contacted by someone looking for some Kune Kunes and as I've not done it before I'm lost ! Also they don't come under the remit of the BPA, so no help there !
I'm waiting for my AHO to get back to me as I type, but know how good all the TASers are  ;)
Thanks for any help you can give
Karen x

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Has anyone exported pigs to Northern Ireland ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:06:28 pm »
Firstly you need to have approved isolation facilities as the pigs in question have to be quarantined for thirty days. Contact yor local defra /vetinary dept there is quite alot of paperwork to be done. The isolated pigs have to be blood tested for several things [can't remember what off the top of my head] Not only do you have to apply to export the pigs but the importer has to apply to import .They can only enter N.I thruogh Larne and leave G.B via Cairnryan.We haven't been the exporter but have done several imports into N.I and it's not really that bad .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Has anyone exported pigs to Northern Ireland ?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:02:08 pm »
We have exported sheep to NI - pretty much as gavo has said.  What we did find was that the people who were importing insisted that there were no rules and we just needed to get on the boat!  Not so, and fortunately we didn't listen to them.  Animal Health will be able to guide you, plus your vet for all the blood testing, health certificates, paperwork etc.  You cannot take animals on the fast catamaran ferry, but you can bring the empty trailer back on it - cuts the time on the sea by half.  There are no checks on leaving Britain, but you will be pulled over and inspected when you arrive at Larne, all of which takes up a big chunk of your journey time, which for us was limited to 8 hours because we don't have the long journey certificate. We got there in the nick of time.  It was interesting to do once, but now we have the T-shirt we don't want to do it again  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS