Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ready to go!  (Read 3745 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
ready to go!
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:53:56 pm »
pigs ready to go tommorow and looking great,forms filled out and tank got petrol ;) am going to look for GOS next for a change
and i think they are a great looking pig.
a reall smallholding pig.
collecting pigs on tues and having them cut up same day.
christmass is going to be a CRACKER !!
Langdon :pig: :pig:
Langdon ;)

pointy

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: ready to go!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:21:04 pm »
Good luck and hope all goes well, suggest you treat yourself to a drop or 2 of aged apple juice. My girls are booked in for the 29th saddlebacks have 4 more weaners on order for 4th  :)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 11:04:16 pm »
collecting pigs on tues and having them cut up same day
Langdon, aren't the carcasses going to hang for a week or so first?? They really need to hang - is it a separate butcher who's doing the honours (in which case he'll leave them to hang in his fridge for a week before even beginning to cut)?

Good luck tomorrow!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:12:37 pm »
na cutting tommorow, when we got our first lot of pigs ere the day that we collected we cut up as well and the meat was lush
family, freinds and even my mate who is the pig farmer that we get our pigs of ( and butcher is well  ;) )
him and his family had a night in with us for a meal really enjoyed.
so cutting it is tommorow and straight in the massive freezer!
waiting to go down with the help of a pint of ale ;)
langdon :pig:

Langdon ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:49:14 am »
So pork tonight then ...   ;D

Land Girl G

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »
Hi I have also got 2 Gloss old spots cross Berkshire boys ready to go next week, but can't seem to find  anywhere that only sell's large amounts of the  button tags for the pigs ears that I need to send them off with. Any ideas and where do you all buy yours  from? Really didn't want to buy these in bulk, after all I may not do this again for a while, if ever.  ;)        Land Girl G

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »
as im writing this im thinking of putting a chop on, dont have any bitter or ale to wash
it down with  :(
langdon :pig:
Langdon ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:43 am »
Langdon hope you enjoyed your chop did you have any cider to wash it down with?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 11:02:32 am »
Hi I have also got 2 Gloss old spots cross Berkshire boys ready to go next week, but can't seem to find  anywhere that only sell's large amounts of the  button tags for the pigs ears that I need to send them off with. Any ideas and where do you all buy yours  from? Really didn't want to buy these in bulk, after all I may not do this again for a while, if ever.  ;)        Land Girl G

Did you buy them as weaners? If so the person you got them from will have a couple of tags, in fact they should have supplied them. A neighbour with pigs may have suitable applicators.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 01:08:29 pm »
Landgirl, you will be better with metal tags if taking off to slaughter, as they need to survive the scauld process. There are plastic tags that will do this, but as abattoirs can't tell one from another on sight, most would not accept a plastic tag and only allow metal.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS