Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this the right place?  (Read 3041 times)

Ross Bibby

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Stirling
Is this the right place?
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:05:45 pm »
Hello, my name is Ross, I live just outside Stirling.
I've been interested in the idea of owning a smallholding of some sort for a couple of years now and I'm currently reading and listening to as much as I can.
I went to my first sheep auction today and I had no idea what was going on, how the bidding worked (it appeared to be by telepathy), quite what the currency was or how the price was progressing - and whether or not it was per sheep or for the number of sheep in the pen.
I did however enjoy seeing them try to fit probably 70 or 80 blackies into a pen designed for say 25.

So, hoping to gather lots of info for the day I finally persuade the wife that it's a good idea to go native.

Cheers
Ross 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Is this the right place?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:40:45 pm »
Hi, Ross and welcome.

Check out the Forth Valley and West Fife Smalholders Association website www.smallholders.info New members always welcome!

I love auctions. I used to get very tense as "my" lot came up but I'm better now!

Ros, it's not as haphazard as it looks. I always worried that I would wave to someone and buy something I didn't want but th "spotters" seem to be pretty good at spotting real bidders. The catalogue will tell you what the price is - sometimes it's £, sometimes guineas. At a sale like that, they would be selling by the pen, I think.

Ross Bibby

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Stirling
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:03:07 pm »
Thank you.
I noticed the Forth Valley Group section on this forum and that it had moved. I wasn't sure how open it was but I'll check it out.

Cheers
Ross

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:42:41 pm »
Welcome

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:47 pm »
Hello from me too

Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 11:35:18 am »
From a muddy Normandy welcome on board!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS