Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep with raised liver enzymes. Chronic fluke??  (Read 3575 times)

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
Re: Sheep with raised liver enzymes. Chronic fluke??
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 01:11:43 pm »
Could the liver be knackered from historical fluke infection? I’m not a vet but wondered if it’s a possibility.

Have you tested for other wasting diseases (are the raised liver enzymes a red herring) like MV and johnes?

Historical fluke infection was the first suggestion but she came here as a weaned lamb in  October 2017 and has been fat ever since up until very recently, so I think for her to be in good condition all that time the infection couldn't have come from before then so she would have had o get it here ????? Or could it have taken that long to show damage?

She tested negative for Johnes. The vet didn't mention MV, but I suspect he didn't test for it because it's a closed flock with no additions since 2018 and she isn't showing any other symptoms.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 01:27:33 pm »
It may be worth testing for mv just to rule it out. I guess it depends how much £££ you want to throw at her. Most farmers would probably cull and maybe post mortem (that would be worth doing). As Sally says mineral deficiency is worth looking at. But if everything still draws blanks and shes still losing condition it may be worth putting her down and the vet do a full post-mortem.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 07:15:46 pm »
Hopefully the vet told you that the test for Johnes for a single sheep is extremely unreliable; a +ve is a +ve but a -ve does not necessarily mean it's not Johnes.

You can read our highly unsatisfactory story about Johnes - or not - in our sheep here
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2021, 09:43:08 pm »
I would also advise testing for Johne's. If the vet took blood samples they may still have it and can run the test quite quickly.

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 07:55:40 pm »
Hopefully the vet told you that the test for Johnes for a single sheep is extremely unreliable; a +ve is a +ve but a -ve does not necessarily mean it's not Johnes.

You can read our highly unsatisfactory story about Johnes - or not - in our sheep here

No, the vet didn't say the test for Johnes was unreliable, but it' a mixed practice and the sheep vet who took the blood is on holiday, so I am dealing with small animal vets till he gets back. Also, the fact that the blood tests did show some liver damage that would account for weight loss, and liver damage isn't associated with Johnes.

Thanks for the link to your thread about Johnes. I have read the whole thing,and after thinking there are similarities with Acorn, I see your ewe definitely didn't have Johnes after all. She's the right age-- 4 years old-- and otherwise seems bright and normal. She isn't emaciated --- yet--  sheep vet who took blood body scored her at 2.5. Since I don't breed, and reading on the NADIS site it's unlikely she would infect the adult sheep running with her, I may as well give her some time and extra feed, even if Johnes is a possibility. . 

Zan

• Joined Jul 2021
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 08:07:27 pm »
The vet had said toxic plants can cause liver damage so I've been examining the hedgerow to see if she could have reached through the fence and got something. Examining small plants I have missed a very large obvious one--- the neighbouring cottage has a large cherry tree on the boundary and a lot of it overhangs my field. Leaves from it fall onto my ground in the autumn and wilted cherry leaves are extremely toxic. Apparently they contain cyanide and can kill animals . I am wondering if just eating a very small amount might damage the liver.
Regardless if it has caused this problem I am going to have to speak to my neighbour about the tree, and hopefully he will remove it, or cut it back drastically . If not I will have to fence it off, but of course it's usually windy as leaves fall so I will have to fence off a huge area.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS