Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barefoot trimmers & ringbone  (Read 4590 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Barefoot trimmers & ringbone
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:02 am »
My much loved gelding has sever ringbone and I've been trawling through the internet in the hopes of finding some 'miracle' cure for him.

I have found a lady in the States who has some interesting thoughts and opinions and a mine of useful case studies.  One of the things she talks about is the depth of the collateral grooves causing a horse to be predisposed to the condition.  She didn't know this at the time but my boy has extremely deep grooves - so much so that when I bought him the vet actually commented on it.

She advocates a certain type of trimming ...... NOT the type that causes the horse to be so sore he/she has to lie down - and to be honest, even if that was what she was advocating I wouldnt put my boy through it anyway.

However, I 'get' the whole thing about trimming the hoof so that the grooves are less deep and I think I'd like to give this a go. 

Does anyone know of a barefoot trimmer who would travel to Fife by any chance?

And also does anyone have any experience of ringbone/deep collateral grooves and/or barefoot trimming?

All comments welcome as I am embarking into the unknown for me!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Barefoot trimmers & ringbone
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:59:51 pm »
I have a foot trimmer based in St Andrews who may be able to help. She's very knowledgeable and good with the horses. If you want her contact details, PM me.

Oaklands

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:26:29 am »
hi - barefoot trimming is great IF you get the right one, but can be a nightmare if you don't.... what I have learned through research is that much about successful feet/hooves (including depth of collatoral grooves) is related to diet/environment as much or more than the actual trim. there is a great book called 'Feet First' which is good reading, also I would recommend a trimmer registered/trained with the AANHCP, uk branch - they have a website and a facebook page (I recently went barefoot with my thoroughbred, 4 months ago... it is a journey for sure, still ongoing but I am sure will be worth it in the end - he couldnt keep his front shoes on!).

good luck!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »
Amber had ringbone of the upper summat or other but the vet said she'd be o.k to ride if I wasn't going to overdo it but I never had the courage she's now retired to The Horse Trust
  This is her one leg

She also had two gashes down her hinds.I was given some photos of her being paraded down south and you could see them the when she looked about 18mnths old.The vet reckoned she'd been in some sort of accident as a foal

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 01:11:17 pm »
Be very very careful regarding barefoot trimming.  Many horses have been wrecked by the fashion.  You are far better to consult with a true Remedial Farrier - details can be got from the Worshipful company of Farriers of properly trained ones in your area.

True horses were designed to go barefoot in nature, but wild horses are constantly on the move and wear down their feet evenly.  We keep the horse in a false situation, therefore must uses services designed to cope with this.

I am not saying barefoot trimmers are bad, but do they have a 5 year apprenticeship like a farrier and cover the biology/ surgical side of the horses foot ?

Get the wrong trimmer and you could be condemning your horse to an early departure from this world.  The wrong farrier could do the same, but the WCP are not likely to give you the details of a bad'un.
Remedial farriery can be covered by insurance - I'm not sure that barefoot trimming is.

Be careful with your much loved boy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS