Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOS weaners with small appetite  (Read 1893 times)

Jojopops70

• Joined Nov 2017
GOS weaners with small appetite
« on: March 22, 2021, 03:36:51 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm after some advice if possible please. 
I have had 2 GOS weaners now for 2 weeks and whilst they seem to have settled in fairly well and behave like normal young pigs for the majority of the time (they are busy outdoors digging, sleeping, drinking and are inquisitive) they don't seem to have much of an appetite compared to what I've experienced before, one worse than the other (this is only my 3rd time having pigs so still new to it all). 
I had planned to stick to what I have done previously, as advised by the feed producer at 0.5kg of feed per day for every month of age, up to 2.5kgs (however I always kept it slightly under this as I know they get other things when foraging), but going by the recommended rate, they are only eating about half the amount they should for their age and over the last two days it seems to have dropped even more, today they only stood for breakfast for about 5 minutes.  I will also say that over the last 2 days that they have been out foraging more as the weather has been a bit kinder, so could it be because they're finding other things to eat?  I'm just concerned that they're not getting enough food and have a small appetite due to an potential illness. 
They are going to the toilet ok (haven't got diarrhoea and have seen them both urinating fine).  I've checked the bags of feed are in tact/not damaged and are in date.  They always have clean water and clean feed troughs.  They also have plenty of clean dry straw bedding.
The other weaners I've had, had a much bigger appetite and always cleared their allowance morning and evening in one sitting.  Whereas the two I have now, if I gave them their recommended allowance (which I'm not doing fully as would get a lot of waste), they would leave it until the afternoon when they would come back to feed but only for a few minutes....  I will of course monitor them and call a vet if I see any other signs of illness, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this and might have some advice that could be offered, thank you :)   

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: GOS weaners with small appetite
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:40:13 pm »
The obvious thing to affect feed intake in inadequate water supply but that isn't the case here.

Were they on a creep feed when you bought them? And are you feeding a small pellet? When were they last wormed?

If they are healthy and not losing condition I wouldn't worry too much.

Jojopops70

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 09:42:04 am »
Hi Harmony.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes they were on creep feed before they came, usually the lady brings a bag of her feed with her (she mills it herself) so that I can slowly introduce my feed (marriages grower cubes, approx 1cm long, under 0.5cm diametre) but she forgot this time.   
I know they were wormed before they came, but not sure exactly when, I have asked the question and am waiting to hear back from her.  This morning they are even less interested in their feed and have gone back to bed after about 20 minutes of routing about. Going to keep an extra close eye on them today.
Thanks again.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 11:05:58 am »
It sounds like they had a good start.
I know they seem to be rooting a lot but that really wont fill them up. Can you lock them in so they have no option but to eat their feed and see if they are more interested?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 03:04:28 pm »
What about trying them with some fruit and veg. If the woman makes her own feed for her pigs maybe something has peed on it. Just a thought. another one, maybe have sore mouths.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 03:18:40 pm »
What about trying them with some fruit and veg. If the woman makes her own feed for her pigs maybe something has peed on it. Just a thought. another one, maybe have sore mouths.

Sabrina you missed where Jojopops70 said this time the lady forgot to bring some of her milled food. I too had though sore mouths but you would sort of think if they can root they could eat ok but worth a check.

Jojopops70

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 08:23:18 pm »
It sounds like they had a good start.
I know they seem to be rooting a lot but that really wont fill them up. Can you lock them in so they have no option but to eat their feed and see if they are more interested?

Thanks Harmony, thats a good idea, I will keep them in tomorrow to see if that encourages them to eat more.  I have also contacted the lady I bought them off and she has offered to come and take a look at them, she said she could administer wormer or antibiotics if she thought it was necessary. 

I'm going to sound completely ignorant now so I apologise, you and Sabrina have mentioned possibly sore mouths, what would this be caused by?  Thank you 😊

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS