Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats milk/lamb replacer  (Read 2050 times)

Wabbitstew

• Joined Mar 2021
Goats milk/lamb replacer
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:55:30 am »
Hi all
I’m bottle rearing a kid.  The breeder started her on lamb replacer (after colostrum from another nanny), so I’ve been using the replacer that she gave me.  I’m running out now, so do I get more of the same, or is it preferable to use pasteurised goats milk? Getting raw goats milk would be difficult.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats milk/lamb replacer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 12:11:11 pm »
No, don't get milk from the shops (goats or cows), as it will not only have been pasteurised but also homogenised. This will have destroyed the protein strucures, and will make it more difficult to digest (same is true for humans). Definitly continue on lamb milk replacer, but make sure you make it up to goats' strength, not lambs. It should say on the bag.

There is a facebook group where people can ask for raw goatsmilk for animal consumption (mainly for puppies and kittens), don't know the name, and also if you do go on "Goaty friends" facebook group, you may be able to find someone nearby whop has surplus. I am not on goatyfriends though.

You can also get goatsmilk replacer, (Caprilac), but it is pricey. If your kid is doing well on the current powder I would stick to it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS