Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Glamping and agricultural water supply  (Read 4376 times)

Booleyx

• Joined Apr 2020
Glamping and agricultural water supply
« on: March 01, 2021, 11:16:11 pm »
Hi all
Got planning permission for 5 shepherd huts and a barn on our 8 acre plot about 3 years ago - took 4 years of battling to get it with over 25 conditions including moving the field gate and making a vision splay to meet highways stipulations with a 5 meter pull in when joining a 60mph road but that's another story.

Now we've recovered financially and mentally (kind of!) and ready to get cracking - I have a question about water supply...I have a blue pipe above ground water supply for the horses in our paddock.  I will need a mains water supply for the glamping units for a shower, toilet and sink for each one and want to know whether I can utilise this supply anwill bed if so will it be powerful enough or permitted?  Seems crazy forking out for a new supply when I already have one but just looking for some thoughts please? :

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Glamping and agricultural water supply
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 06:31:33 pm »
I have always wondered about water supply for glamping. And more importantly, drainage and waste disposal. I will be very interested to see the replies.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 07:41:25 pm »
Where does the water in your blue pipe come from? If you have a private supply then it will need testing to ensure it is fine for people to drink. You will need to know that you have enough capacity for your units especially in prolonged dry spells.

If you already have a mains supply then presumably the pressure is ok.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 06:23:04 pm »
Very good luck to you @Booleyx, but I'm sort of wondering how you are only now thinking about water services and also, therefore, how you achieved PP without a services plan.  I'm afraid to say it beggars belief.  I can't help and I'm simply wondering in disbelief !!!

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 02:01:36 am »
An above ground water supply has the potential to freeze in the winter and get warm and create bacteria in the summer. Also, I'm assuming that you have something like a 20 or 25mm supply pipe? With that many units you'd get massive pressure drops when another unit flushed the toilet or had a shower.

Finally, as this is a business you may well need to apply for a separate connection in which case there no way the proposal would get accepted.

Booleyx

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 02:09:11 pm »
Where does the water in your blue pipe come from? If you have a private supply then it will need testing to ensure it is fine for people to drink. You will need to know that you have enough capacity for your units especially in prolonged dry spells.

If you already have a mains supply then presumably the pressure is ok.

Thank you!

Booleyx

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 02:20:45 pm »
Very good luck to you @Booleyx, but I'm sort of wondering how you are only now thinking about water services and also, therefore, how you achieved PP without a services plan.  I'm afraid to say it beggars belief.  I can't help and I'm simply wondering in disbelief !!!

Hi I'm beginning to wonder myself since we had to jump through hoops for every thing else!!

Will keep you posted - the very nature of glamping is to have the luxury - hot shower and flushing loos - probably just 2 to 3 units to start and so we are installing a cesspit or septic tank for grey and waste water it was just the mains water I was unsure about.  Our planning permission does not mention a service plan for glamping as such so I guess as long as H & S and supply regulations are adhered to.  The permission was also for a holiday let which is already completed and its utilities ran off the main farm building.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 03:40:54 pm »
Our planning permission does not mention a service plan for glamping as such so I guess as long as H & S and supply regulations are adhered to.
If your PP was for Shepherd huts why not just stick to that?  It would most likely be cheaper. You could add glamping units later

If you do anything else your PP will be revisited anyway as soon as the council see you have started work
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 08:39:41 pm »
You might be right @doganjo about planning officer revisiting at some point after PP granted, but I've not seen one - I would have expected to be notified if they were intending to visit, although I guess they could turn up (maybe have turned up) un-announced when I wasn't there.

(To note the Environment Agency did indeed send an officer to check me/my land out after I applied for Environmental Permits.  Perhaps they were more adequately staffed than LA planning departments at that time ?)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 08:47:05 pm by arobwk »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 10:35:28 am »
You might be right @doganjo about planning officer revisiting at some point after PP granted, but I've not seen one - I would have expected to be notified if they were intending to visit, although I guess they could turn up (maybe have turned up) un-announced when I wasn't there.

(To note the Environment Agency did indeed send an officer to check me/my land out after I applied for Environmental Permits.  Perhaps they were more adequately staffed than LA planning departments at that time ?)

I renovated needing PP, built a 4 bed bungalow with PP - revisited by council chaps any time they were passing.  Maybe more for interest but anything untoward would have been mentioned, in fact one jobsworth did try to say my chimney was in the wrong place and I actually invited her to come and see it when I was around to show me why she thought that.  Her red face brought me a great deal of satisfaction when she looked round to find all 6 other houses in the  hamlet had their chimneys in the same place.  So just be warned it could happen.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 08:41:32 pm »

Hi I'm beginning to wonder myself since we had to jump through hoops for every thing else!!

Will keep you posted - the very nature of glamping is to have the luxury - hot shower and flushing loos - probably just 2 to 3 units to start and so we are installing a cesspit or septic tank for grey and waste water it was just the mains water I was unsure about.  Our planning permission does not mention a service plan for glamping as such so I guess as long as H & S and supply regulations are adhered to.  The permission was also for a holiday let which is already completed and its utilities ran off the main farm building.
I keep thinking about this. Under permitted development you are allowed so many days,with a bit of luck it will be extended again this year to 56days
 I was going to go the eco route for loos because of covid, so it easier to give separate facilities, and then a central shower point. Thinking of doing pocket wedding on the 30 guests max, and including the camping. I have already upped my insurance just in case.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 10:12:00 pm »
The new 56 days does still apply to 2021.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS