Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello everyone, I'm Barry  (Read 1828 times)

Bjt1992

• Joined Feb 2021
Hello everyone, I'm Barry
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:25:56 pm »
Hello, I am Barry, a 28 year old male from Edinburgh, I do not own a smallholding, or have any farming experience really, but the subject has always interested me, and I may look to start growing my own food some day, in the meantime, I have been reading the forum for a few weeks, and it seems that a wealth of helpful information can be found here, along with a lot of friendly people, who frequent the site sharing stories and advice, so I have decided to join, nice to meet you.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Hello everyone, I'm Barry
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 10:16:05 am »
Hi Barry, welcome to the campfire. There's homemade beer in the ice bucket - just help yourself.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 12:33:06 pm »
Hello Barry and welcome

We were in Edinburgh and started with having a couple of allotments.  Ours was in Chesser, down behind the jail - lovely soil, bad committee but they'll be long dead.  There's always a waiting list so it's best to get on the list now, before you're sure when you want to make a start.  The list might be particularly long this year with the pandemic.  You could even have a half share in an allotment rather than taking on a whole one and not being able to work it all at first.  Meantime, do you have a garden at home, or a balcony or windowsill?  Space is never too small to make a start  :garden:  and now is the time to do it, with itchy green fingers. There's always room for pots of chillis and herbs :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 01:29:21 pm »
I bet a fair few of us started our journey by growing a few veg in the garden, then an allotment... I know I did. 

Welcome Barry  :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 03:03:30 pm »
I just had a thought, Barry. Do you know about Gorgie Farm?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 06:10:13 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Bjt1992

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 09:36:21 pm »
I just had a thought, Barry. Do you know about Gorgie Farm?

Sorry for late reply, I have heard of goergie farm, but dont know much about it.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 07:15:33 am »
Welcome to the forum from Angus (not so sunny today but yesterday was lovely!)
Do you have any gardening space for growing or small animals?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 11:48:59 am »
Sorry for late reply, I have heard of goergie farm, but dont know much about it.

Turns out they have a website too: The Farm - Gorgie City FarmGorgie City Farm (lovegorgiefarm.org.uk)

It's a really interesting place, and 10 minutes walk from Haymarket. I just wondered if getting involved there might be a way for you to figure out a bit more about what you might want to do yourself in due course.

Bjt1992

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 09:52:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum from Angus (not so sunny today but yesterday was lovely!)
Do you have any gardening space for growing or small animals?

Not at the moment, I'm in a 3rd floor flat currently, I would have to start with indoor plants, although, my community has a garden project growing all sorts of stuff in unused public spaces right where I am.

Bjt1992

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 09:54:00 pm »

Turns out they have a website too: The Farm - Gorgie City FarmGorgie City Farm (lovegorgiefarm.org.uk)

It's a really interesting place, and 10 minutes walk from Haymarket. I just wondered if getting involved there might be a way for you to figure out a bit more about what you might want to do yourself in due course.

Cool, I'll have to check that out, thanks.  :thumbsup:

Bjt1992

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 09:59:13 pm »
Hello Barry and welcome

We were in Edinburgh and started with having a couple of allotments.  Ours was in Chesser, down behind the jail - lovely soil, bad committee but they'll be long dead.  There's always a waiting list so it's best to get on the list now, before you're sure when you want to make a start.  The list might be particularly long this year with the pandemic.  You could even have a half share in an allotment rather than taking on a whole one and not being able to work it all at first.  Meantime, do you have a garden at home, or a balcony or windowsill?  Space is never too small to make a start  :garden:  and now is the time to do it, with itchy green fingers. There's always room for pots of chillis and herbs :yum:

No garden, but windowsill pots could be a start, my local community has a garden project right in my neighbourhood too, I could volunteer with them for free and learn a few things, they also run a community bakery off the goods, so that seems a good way to do my toe in.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS