Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Communities fighting for their existance  (Read 2363 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Communities fighting for their existance
« on: March 01, 2021, 08:17:36 pm »
Here's an example of a small community fighting to exist against external pressures:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornish-fishing-community-cadgwith-rallies-5005731

Any others that folk might like to mention ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Communities fighting for their existance
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:14:50 pm »
I've been watching the Cornish Fishing programmes.  It seems second homes pushing up prices happens in most of the villages down here, but it's rife all over beautiful areas of the UK including Scotland
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 04:18:51 pm »
I've been watching the Cornish Fishing programmes.  It seems second homes pushing up prices happens in most of the villages down here, but it's rife all over beautiful areas of the UK including Scotland

and needs to be contained/controlled in some way so that local folk do not end up having to resort (the way the world is going) to Airb&b just to have a roof over their heads !!??  ???   >:(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 03:42:51 pm »
I'm not sure when the episode I watched recently was aired but they spoke about a consortium buying up some old properties near the harbour that were to be modernised for fishermen
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 06:50:28 am »
At least here in the Highlands Covid has made things worse as all rural properties are being bought by people seeking a 'safer' bolthole.

The consequences are far more reaching than are initially obvious.  Unavailability of local housing is probably the main factor in driving Gaelic to extinction as a community language.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 01:20:03 pm »
Some of the big Future Planning is aimed at getting most people to live in huge cities, to concentrate the population where water, heating, shopping, working etc can be concentrated.  Plans for the countryside envision mass production of food by computer-controlled machinery, with little need for human intervention, and meat grown in labs, so a minimal rural population.

To me that's a terrifying thought and I rail against it, but to many people, and clearly the planners and academics, it's the obvious answer - concentrate the workers and their needs in the cities, let them go to the countryside or overseas for vacations at recharging camps.

Change happens and it looks as if it's happening in our rural communities.  Of course these changes hail back to the Industrial Revolution when the huge workforce needed was sourced from the countryside. Nothing new there.

You will need a bigger argument than 'it needs to be contained/controlled in some way' to turn the tide.

Perhaps the pandemic will change the basic premise of The Plan

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 01:21:34 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 09:17:15 pm »
At least here in the Highlands Covid has made things worse as all rural properties are being bought by people seeking a 'safer' bolthole.

The consequences are far more reaching than are initially obvious.  Unavailability of local housing is probably the main factor in driving Gaelic to extinction as a community language.

We're sort of used to being squeezed-out here in the South West (particularly Cornwall), but things are definitely worse now  >:( >:(  - much sympathy for the Highlands if they should go they same way due to the Covid rush out of the cities. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:59:47 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 07:28:15 pm »
And it was reported on national News this eve that Cornwall is nationally, presently, the most frequently searched place for homes for sale !!!  Please, please (city dwellers) consider going somewhere else or staying put for now - there will be plenty of town-centre brown-field housing developments for you to look at very soon (as developers buy-up and knock-down empty shop buildings - big and small - and fill the gaps with residential dev's with home-office potential) allowing you to stay close to your family and friends !  Wouldn't that be really great ?  And you wouldn't have to put up with the seasonal chaos of swathes of emmets every summer blocking your drive-way and pooping amongst your petunias either.

??? :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 04:16:34 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS